Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Plasti Dipped Wheels (again).

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2016, 8:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plasti Dipped Wheels (again).

Wife got some new sneakers installed... so I removed and redipped...

the wheels under the 3 year old dip look brand new...
Attached Thumbnails Plasti Dipped Wheels (again).-wheels1.jpg   Plasti Dipped Wheels (again).-wheels2.jpg  
Old July 5th, 2016, 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

looks great. I am now convinced to do the same to my truck. How hard to peeled off if I wanted to go back to chrome someday?

Last edited by tech2; July 5th, 2016 at 8:01 PM.
Old July 6th, 2016, 7:24 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, just like painting, it's all about prep and patience. Watch lots of videos and how tos.
You want to make sure the wheel is as clean as possible, and dry before you begin. I pulled the wheels off, used simple green, some sponges, pressure washer, and cleaned the crap out of them.
Then used paper shop towels to dry. Then let sit over night. DO NOT be tempted to start right away. ONE DROP of water will ruin the look. I let them sit w/a fan over night.

First coat should be a light dusting. about 50% coverage. Let dry for 20-30 min. 2nd coat. dry 25 min. 3rd, same, 4th, same.
Last coat, let dry 2-4 hours, before putting back on vehicle. You can drive after about 6 hours of drying. I wouldn't use a car wash for at least 24-48 hours.
After 48 hours, car wash is no problem. (touchless).

Don't be tempted to use only 2 coats. Use 1 can per wheel face. Whole can. Make sure to test on something not your wheels when first grabbing a can, in case of clogs. When the can gets too low, STOP using it, you don't want to ruin the finish over trying to squeeze out the last 1oz.

The MORE coats. the better. The easier to remove. The removal horror stories are from spraying it too thin. The more coats the better. Don't rush it.

Removal is like removing a sunburn, you get a bit up and keep rubbing. old socks, t-shirts, etc work well. Or a pressure washer. If it's really a pain, you can buy dip dissolver, or WD-40 works great. Spray it on, wait 5 min, and it will come off like black goo.

Lowes sells this stuff. I might do red on my Tesla at some point. Some people do their whole cars. I did the badges on the Tahoe as well. I think it looks good, protects the stuff under it, and you can peel it off for resale.

I won't lie, there is some elbow grease and blisters on your fingers for removal of it, but what else can make things any color, and be removed years later? For $25 it's a fun color change.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/showcase-gallery

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-wheels.44696/

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; July 6th, 2016 at 7:28 AM.