Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

popping noise 08 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping noise 08 tahoe

HELLO, ALTHOUGH I FREQUENTLY READ ALL OF YOUR FORUMS THIS IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING. I HAVE AN 08 TAHOE 4WD. I HAVE NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES WHEN I HAVE IT TURNED ALL OF THE WAY ONE DIRECTION GOING AT A SLOWER SPEED SUCH AS TURNING IN A PARKING AREA IT WILL MAKE A POPPING NOISE. IT WILL POP JUST ONCE. I AT FIRST THOUGHT THIS NOISE WAS IN THE FRONT END ALTHOUGH NOW AFTER LISTENING TO IT MORE IT APPEARS TO BE COMING MORE FROM THE REAR OR THE CENTER OF THE VEHICLE. LIKE I SAID IT DOES NOT MAKE THIS NOISE ANY OTHER TIME. JUST FOR CLARIFICATION THIS IS WITH THE VEHICLE BEING SET IN THE 2WD POSISTION.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: popping noise 08 tahoe

my first guess its the limited slip differential popping when you do a really tight turn
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum.

Also if you have turned to the steering lock, it may be related to the power steering pump.

BTW, turn the cap lock off, it's considered shouting and also hard to read.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
CF Junior Member

This may be a stretch but, I noticed soon after getting my Tahoe that when I turn on road or parking lot that isn't smooth, sometimes my seat belt will make a popping noise. This only happens to me when I turn left and and I'm leaning towards the center of the truck. I think the receiving part of the belt comes up from the floor and runs through a plastic guide that holds it in place (sorry, never really looked at it too closely) and when I turn left and lean against it, it kinda pushes it down and it click or pops. Just a thought.....
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

The seat/shoulder belt retractor locks up when it senses vehicle deceleration as opposed to the old style used years ago that locked up when the belt was pulled rapidly. Also all of the belts except for the driver's can be locked by extending all the way out then letting them back in. Useful for child seats.
Old August 5th, 2010, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

trevor,

i am getting the same problem in my 2007 suburban. did you ever figure out what it was? I feel and hear it coming from right under my feet while driving at low speeds while turning
Old June 7th, 2011, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by trevord
HELLO, ALTHOUGH I FREQUENTLY READ ALL OF YOUR FORUMS THIS IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING. I HAVE AN 08 TAHOE 4WD. I HAVE NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES WHEN I HAVE IT TURNED ALL OF THE WAY ONE DIRECTION GOING AT A SLOWER SPEED SUCH AS TURNING IN A PARKING AREA IT WILL MAKE A POPPING NOISE. IT WILL POP JUST ONCE. I AT FIRST THOUGHT THIS NOISE WAS IN THE FRONT END ALTHOUGH NOW AFTER LISTENING TO IT MORE IT APPEARS TO BE COMING MORE FROM THE REAR OR THE CENTER OF THE VEHICLE. LIKE I SAID IT DOES NOT MAKE THIS NOISE ANY OTHER TIME. JUST FOR CLARIFICATION THIS IS WITH THE VEHICLE BEING SET IN THE 2WD POSISTION.
I didnt have that problem, until i changed my shocks, ball joints, tie rods idler arm, pitman arm. Now 100 miles after, I hear that noise every time I pull out for work in the am. Also leaving from work.
Old June 7th, 2011, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

Could it be the 4 wheel drive? I just bought this thing used. It needs some work, which I don't mind. I love the truck! I got rid of my E320 for it. Can anyone tell me what the best front limited slip differential is for both offroading and daily driving? Im looking at the dana 44 LSD with replaceable clutch pack. 28 spline. Will this fit right in? What is my best option? And does anyone have a direction they can point me in ? Thank you for your input.
Old June 7th, 2011, 5:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

There were some reports of the drive shaft slip yoke popping and requiring lubrication.
Old August 7th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

My 2010 Tahoe with 10,000 miles pops also when I back out of the driveway. I hear the pop when I turn my wheel right backing into the street. It also only does it once after vehicle sits for a while. The dealer in Houston kept it three days and told me it never done it. It does it everyday when I leave. Yesterday when I pulled into a parking space in the parking lot I heard it, but it wasn't as loud. It's been doing it for a while and I wish someone could figure out what it is. Going straight it doesn't do it. Seems to do it when the body twist from turning. I asked the dealer could it be a body mount. I was told it would have to do it when its there and told me to leave it again and come up there on a morning after its been sitting and drive it with them. I'm disgusted with it and might just live with it. Anyone find a fix, let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: popping noise 08 tahoe