Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is it possible to copy the map DVD??

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2007, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to copy the map DVD??

I have a copy of the Asia region in files that has to be burnt into DVD disk, and when I burned them on a blank DVD and inserted it into the navigation unit I got that message "the disk inserted is a not a DVD map", so is there a particular way to create a valid DVD map disk??
Old October 21st, 2007, 8:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is it possible to copy the map DVD??

See this link from another forum:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...c,69753.0.html

I think the moral of the story is that you need a Dual Layer DVD burner first.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

afterdawn.com
Here you should be able to follow the post for burning a DVD. It may be write protected but you should be able to copy it with some of the free software.
Lyle
Old October 24th, 2007, 6:24 AM
CF Active Member

They can definitely be copied. Considering how much they cost, I only run a backup in my truck, not the original.
Old October 24th, 2007, 6:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they can be copied - I have been running on my copy since day one (over a year) with the original safely tucked away in my safe. Keep in mind though that you can't simply do a DVD copy, I had to create an ISO image of the disc structure first then burn that to a dual layer blank. Image is 7,906,248 KB in size.
Old October 24th, 2007, 6:57 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use DVD Decryptor http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

Under Mode use Read then ISO, this will save a copy of the disk on your hard drive.

Next under Mode go to Write and in the menu select the ISO image saved on your "C" drive and the drive to write to and then push the icon to start the burn.

As stated above; this requires dual-layer (DL) disks and they will run a little hotter in your machine.

Disclaimer: It is illegal to make a copy of your map disk even for personal use.

Old October 27th, 2007, 9:58 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
Disclaimer: It is illegal to make a copy of your map disk even for personal use.
According to Wikipedia (I didn't verify the accuracy of this), the jury's still out on this:
"Many American legal experts believe that under United States' Federal law making a backup copy of a DVD-Video or an audio CD by a consumer is legal. Some feel this provision of United States law conflicts with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prohibition of so-called "circumvention measures" of copy protections.
In 2006, the United States Library of Congress created an exemption that explicitly allows circumventing access control for certain educational purposes. [2]
In the noted "321" case, Federal District Judge Susan Illston, of the Northern District of California (see: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/72527), ruled that the backup copies made with software such as DVD Decrypter are in fact legal but that distribution of the software used to make them is illegal. As of the date of this revision, neither the US Supreme Court nor the US Congress has taken definitive action on the matter."
Old October 28th, 2007, 8:17 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't mean to start a legality debate over this, just going by the copywrite infringement warnings I see at the opening of all my DVD movies that I copy. It would be an unenforceable law at best anyway.
Old December 17th, 2007, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Followed directions of ZF1100F1 and copied the disk for back-up purposes using a Sony DVD +R DL-works so far.
Old December 17th, 2007, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here using ZX's directions (I already had DVD Decrypter) using Verbatim DVD+R DL