Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Outlet Switched instead of constant on

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2010, 11:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Outlet Switched instead of constant on

I have searched and either I have not found the right key words or there is no information on this subject...

Is there an easy way to make the dash and storage bins on a 07+ Tahoe/Suburban ignition switched instead of constant on? Every GM vehicle I have had in the past, I have pulled apart the console and rigged up a relay to switch the outlets. It drives me crazy that every foreign make car I have owned, the outlets are switched with the ignition, but all GM cars (except those rebadged from other makes like the Vibe, Geo Tracker, etc.) have a constant on outlet.

So, does anyone know an easier way than tearing apart the dash and putting a relay inline with the outlets?
The following users liked this post:
InkyLinx (August 1st, 2022)
Old January 11th, 2010, 7:31 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default always on

if they are always on... i would guess they are always on... lol

sorry?

what do u need to leave plugged in that draws so much power? a cell phone charger won't kill a car battery for days... if ever...
Old January 11th, 2010, 8:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
what do u need to leave plugged in that draws so much power? a cell phone charger won't kill a car battery for days... if ever...
A cell phone charger will not kill the battery, but a GPS and radar detector together will. Because I work from home, I may not drive my truck for a week and if I leave the GPS and RD on from the last weekend, it will be dead when I try and start it the next weekend. I guess I will be wiring in a relay once it gets warmer.
Old January 11th, 2010, 8:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they make a switchable power adapter that plugs into cig lighter, then you turn it on/off as needed. cheaper and easier than pullin dash apart.
Old January 12th, 2010, 3:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has always been one of my biggest pet peeves, and I don't understand, with the technology and the "Smarts?" that we have in our automotive design pool, why they can't provide us both. My Burb has 3 power outlets. Why not make two of them switched and one un-switched, or vice-versa. Or even better yet, provide us an easy way to select how each one is configured. Should be a relatively inexpensive option. Now there's a better idea from....oh, wait, wrong company! Any of you Chevy designers listening?

Old January 12th, 2010, 9:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by FTO13
This has always been one of my biggest pet peeves, and I don't understand, with the technology and the "Smarts?" that we have in our automotive design pool, why they can't provide us both. My Burb has 3 power outlets. Why not make two of them switched and one un-switched, or vice-versa. Or even better yet, provide us an easy way to select how each one is configured. Should be a relatively inexpensive option. Now there's a better idea from....oh, wait, wrong company! Any of you Chevy designers listening?

A switch next to each power outlet to alternate between constant and accessory power would be perfect.

MAXXMAN, I have seen what you are talking about. My problem is I forget to turn off the devices once every few months or so and drain my battery. One time it happened on the day of an interview. Thankfully my wife was home and I was able to jump it.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

The two in the dash are easy to get to, the dash peice around them just pops off. If you know how to wire a relay there is an empty socket in the wiring box to the left of the brake pedal where you can get either ignition or RAP to control the relay.
The following users liked this post:
InkyLinx (August 1st, 2022)