Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question about no sound from DVD - 2005 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2016, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about no sound from DVD - 2005 Suburban

I have a 2005 Suburban 1500 Z71 5.3L with pretty much every option available... My question is, I can watch a DVD, but for the life of me I cannot get the sound to work...

1. I don't have the wireless headphones, but I do have the remote (which works)
2. I can listen to any other source (i.e. radio, CD) and the sound is perfect
3. I tried using wired headphones, still nothing...

Any suggestions? When I have the Rear Audio set to DVD, it shows "DVD" on the front radio display, but regardless of my settings, it refuses to play sound... Everything on the vehicle is stock, no customizations of any kind... Is it possible there's a loose connection, and if so, where should I look?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I just purchased the vehicle and my kids are bummed that the sound isn't working on the DVD player.
Old March 28th, 2016, 8:41 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

While it's possible that it may be caused by loose connection, I suspect that the DVD player has gone Tango Uniform. The DVD player in my wife's 2004 Tahoe went south a couple of years ago. That's about the same age as yours.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

An update...

I removed the overhead DVD player and unhooked/reconnected all the wires, re-installed the DVD player and still nothing... I cannot get the sound from the DVD Player to work... Is it possible that the DVD player is bad? Seems odd that it plays video but not audio...
Old April 3rd, 2016, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

I removed the overhead DVD player and disconnected, re-connected all the connections, I still am not getting any sound from the DVD player... Is it possible that the DVD player itself is messed up?

Also, today, I found that the horn would only work when locking the doors with the remote, but not when you actually press the horn in the center of the steering wheel. I disconnected the battery and removed the AIRBAG fuse, waited 15 minutes (SRS has a backup battery), then used to 16d finish nails to insert at the 3:00 & 9:00 positions on the rear of the steering wheel. The airbag slid off, then I used a Torx head screwdriver to remove the spring loaded airbag mounts (I didn't disconnect the airbag). I used a small piece of sandpaper and a wire brush to clean the 4 brass contact points, put it all back together. I put the fuse back in then re-connected the battery and voila, everything worked as it should.
Old April 11th, 2016, 5:39 AM
CF Beginner

Any help/advice would be great... ???
Old April 14th, 2016, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Silly question, but on mine you will see "DVD" on the radio screen when the unit is powered on, but you have to push the "CD/AUX" button a few times so that the radio screen says "RSE" before the sound will play over the speakers. Have you verified that there's no sound when the headunit says RSE?

I just bought mine a few months ago. It came with the headphones and remote but I haven't tried either yet so I can't comment.

Good luck
Tom
Old April 14th, 2016, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tmhd82
Silly question, but on mine you will see "DVD" on the radio screen when the unit is powered on, but you have to push the "CD/AUX" button a few times so that the radio screen says "RSE" before the sound will play over the speakers. Have you verified that there's no sound when the headunit says RSE?

I just bought mine a few months ago. It came with the headphones and remote but I haven't tried either yet so I can't comment.

Good luck
Tom
Thanks for the suggestion, I did go out and try that just now, but still no luck...