Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question for those of you with LTZ wheels?

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those of you with LTZ wheels?

Well, I finally bit the bullet today and picked up a 2011 LT Burb. It's a beautiful truck and is optioned out EXACTLY like I wanted. Part of it's option package is that it has the standard 20" "spoke" wheels which are usually found on the LTZ models. They're a beautiful wheel, and I want to keep them that way.

Can anyone with these wheels tell me if the lead wheel-weights will eventually bubble the finish of these wheels like they did on my previous Burb? I was thinking of having the weights exchanged for the "stick on" variety if this is a common problem for others. Are these wheels clear-coated, or just raw aluminum?

Also, how do these 20" tires (Bridgestones) perform in snow? I'm used to a BFG A/T tire, not a wider road-tire, so I'm hoping it's not all over the road this winter.

Thansk!

Last edited by saxart; July 31st, 2011 at 1:00 AM.
Old August 1st, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

20 inch wheels are pretty hard to keep in balance. You could certainly switch to the interior stick on weights but the wheel won't keep balance as well. The outer lead weights should have just been clamped on, rather than glued. However it is possible that it could do some damage to the wheels. No guarantee.

The tires that come on the 20 inch wheels are typically the all-season ("no season") highway variety. You can check out the reviews and ratings for your tire at tirerack.com.
I switched to Pirelli Scorpions on my burb for better snow and off road traction. For best results in the snow you would need to switch to an AT tire, or better yet snow tires.
Old August 1st, 2011, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

8rings-
Thanks for the thoughts....

It seems like "factory" tires are always a half-**** compromise between quality and price. When these tires wear out I've been thinking of moving to more of an A/T tire (BFG AT?) but who knows?

In the meantime, does anyone here have pics of a LTZ (or look a like) with the BFG A/T tires on it?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The wheels are clear-coated and any clip-on weights, including the coated ones, will eventually wear thru the clear-coat. Have them balanced w/ the stick-ons in the center of the rim.

Haven't had any problems w/ balance on either on mine.