Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Questions about E85

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about E85

So this is my first post, forgive me for being repepetitive if this question has already been addressed. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible on E85 fuel. 1. Should a regular 10% fuel be run through periodically? 2. Do tanks need to be empty when switching fuel types or can you have a mixture of say, E85 and 87 octane?

Also I was unable to find a way to search for topics of old posts and, honestly, 100 pages of posts is too many to look for to ensure that I am not re-posting a topic.

Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2011, 8:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

basically none of us run E85 because
1) you will get much worse gas mileage with E85 and even though it is cheaper than regular gas it will cost you more
2) don't trust running that stuff through my engine because of the risk of damaging seals, sensors and other parts of the engine
3) I think it is a government scam and will end up costing the US more long term

after all of that you can run whatever combination of E85 and regular gas in your tank you want. the engine computer will compensate and run fine - just make sure your truck is flexfuel compatible

Last edited by ousig2408; May 13th, 2011 at 8:45 AM.
Old May 13th, 2011, 9:23 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E-EightyHell

Don't do it, don't use it, don't buy it, don't touch it with a 10' pole.

Bipartisan Bill Seeks To End Cornerstone Ethanol Subsidy | The Truth About Cars

it destroy's engines, forces food prices higher, does not reduce actual oil use, causes small children nightmares, gets you LESS MPG, and HIGHER $ per mile costs.

no where, no how does E85, or even E10 or E15 work. it's a god awful idea, wasteful in every way. it was never about power, gas, etc, it was about getting free money to some corn farmers.
Old May 13th, 2011, 3:47 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbrew76
So this is my first post, forgive me for being repepetitive if this question has already been addressed. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible on E85 fuel. 1. Should a regular 10% fuel be run through periodically? 2. Do tanks need to be empty when switching fuel types or can you have a mixture of say, E85 and 87 octane?

Also I was unable to find a way to search for topics of old posts and, honestly, 100 pages of posts is too many to look for to ensure that I am not re-posting a topic.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

1. Not necessary. 2. No, the ECM senses the fuel.

As the others stated tho, ethanol is just a bad idea unless you're drinking it.