Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Quite a bit of white smoke from exhaust after head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2024, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quite a bit of white smoke from exhaust after head gasket replacement

Vehicle: 2014 Chevy Suburban LS 1500

Hello guys,
I was recently in a car accident where a tree basically fell on my hood, destroying my intake manifold and there was plastic sucked into the cylinders, so I decided to take the heads off to get them and in the process replace the head gasket. I used ACDelco MLS head gasket with fel-pro TTY bolts, then got the heads resurfaced. Plus new OEM intake manifold. I followed the sequence of 22 ft lbs + 90 deg + 70 deg in the right bolt order.

I still have to replace two vacuum that broke plus a handful of coolant leaks around the car. I was still waiting on new air duct so I just pulled the old MAF sensor and connected it, basically just left it dangling in the engine bay.

After putting everything together, I tried running the engine. It would not run without giving it some gas, then it would idle fine. I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of exhaust plus the obvious coolant leaks near the radiator, but the white smoke makes me afraid that I botched the head gasket job.
How can I make sure if my head gasket is leaky? Should I be concerned? How would you guys narrow down which bank of a V8 has the leak?
Is the rough initial idle from the bad vacuum lines?