Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radio pre-sets?

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2007, 7:26 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio pre-sets?

I have an LTZ and not sure my presets on the radio are working. When I go to source FM, I set a bunch of pre-sets....then I go to source XM and the same pre-sets are there...if I change them on the XM source, they also change when I go back to FM. Also, the tune settings (treble, bass, mid) do not stay source specific...if I change them in one, it affects both XM and FM. Is this right or am I missing something?
Old August 7th, 2007, 8:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Radio pre-sets?

The new radios use a completely different preset arrangment then what was used in the past.

On the old radios you had 6 presets on AM and 12 on FM (via FM1 & FM2).

The new radios use pages (up to 6) called "Favorites", this allows you to mix and match AM, FM and XM presets on each page rather than having to switch Bands.

Excerpt from owners manual below:

Radio Stations as Favorites Drivers are encouraged to set up their radio station favorites while the vehicle is parked.

Tune to your favorite stations using the presets, favorites button, and steering wheel controls, if the vehicle has them.
FAV (Favorites):A maximum of 36stations can be programmed as favorites using the sixpushbuttons positioned below the radio station frequency labels and by using the radio favorites page button (FAV button). Press the FAV button to go through up to sixpages of favorites, each having sixfavorite stations available per page. Each page of favorites can contain any combination of AM, FM, or XM™ (if equipped) stations. To store a station as a favorite, perform the following steps:

Tune to the desired radio station.
2. Press the FAV button to display the page where you want the station stored.

3. Press and hold one of the sixpushbuttons until a beep sounds.
4. Whenever that pushbutton is pressed and released, the station that was set, returns.

Repeat the steps for each pushbutton radio station you want stored as a favorite.
The number of favorites pages can be setup using the MENU button. To setup the number of favorites pages, perform the following steps:

1. Press the MENU button to display the radio setup menu.
2. Press the pushbutton located below the FAV1-6 label.
Select the desired number of favorites pages by pressing the pushbutton located below the displayed page numbers.
4. Press the FAV button, or let the menu time out, to return to the original main radio screen showing the radio station frequency labels and to begin the process of programming your favorites for the chosen amount of numbered pages.

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Active Member

Kind of a bad design...so you can set 36 presets, but if you want to get to an XM channel set as number 35, you have to hit the scroll button 35 times to get to it or hit the FAV button 5 times and then the preset button...I would rather be able to set 10 for FM and then when I want XM, hit XM and have 10 XM presets.....

If you are listening to a FM channel and switch to XM and hit the 'Up' button for channel, you go back to your next pre-set (which may be FM, AM or XM)...kind of stinks...

What about radio settings (tone control) for different sources (FM, XM, etc.)? Set for one applies to all?
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
CF Addict

You can set each page to all AM the next to all FM and so forth if you would like.
But you need to keep in mind that the "UP" and "DOWN" buttons on the steering wheel are to scroll through presets, the button with the right arrow is for seek.

I think once you get use to it and figure it all out it will make much more sense to you.
I prefer it to the old preset.

Have you tried to set the tone controls for each band and/or source yet?
Give it a try instead of just belly aching.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
davemec

If you have the Nav radio, then I don't think you can set the tone controls for each source separately. I've tried and never could get it to work, even asked the dealership to check for software updates to fix this and they couldn't find anything.
Old August 7th, 2007, 2:20 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

You can set each page to all AM the next to all FM and so forth if you would like.
But you need to keep in mind that the "UP" and "DOWN" buttons on the steering wheel are to scroll through presets, the button with the right arrow is for seek.

I think once you get use to it and figure it all out it will make much more sense to you.
I prefer it to the old preset.

Have you tried to set the tone controls for each band and/or source yet?
Give it a try instead of just belly aching.
I did tryand I am not belly aching...I always try to find a solution before posting a question....
1. DUMB that you can't set favorites for each source
2. DUMB that you can't set tone settings for each source - there is a lot more bass response on XM so if you set the bass high, then XM sounds like crap....if you set it low, FM sounds like crap. I am sure there was a cost savings realized or GM wouldn't have done it this way....

Not belly aching...stating my opinion.
Old August 7th, 2007, 2:57 PM
CF Addict

I'm pretty sure that if you use the word "DUMB" several times while typing several complaint laden posts over such a trivial thing that it can easily be classified as "belly aching".

Not to mention the fact that a "source" and a "band" are two completely different things.
I wonder what GM is going to do with all the money that they saved by leaving out this feature.
Old August 7th, 2007, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

FM/AM is one source and XMis another source.....XM is not a band (i.e frequency)...just like a DVD player is another source.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM
CF Addict

Uh, OK if you say so, whatever.

Old August 8th, 2007, 1:15 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I'm pretty sure that if you use the word "DUMB" several times while typing several complaint laden posts over such a trivial thing that it can easily be classified as "belly aching".

Not to mention the fact that a "source" and a "band" are two completely different things.
I wonder what GM is going to do with all the money that they saved by leaving out this feature.
OWNED

Quick Reply: Radio pre-sets?