Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rattle from Rear liftgate

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2012 | 9:07 AM
CF Active Member

Default Rattle from Rear liftgate

My 08 Tahoe has developed a rattle from the rear liftgate area when I go over bumps in the road like pot hole patches and such. I have tried to take the liftgate cover off and see if anything is loose but have been able to get it completely of yet. It does not appear to me that the liftgate actuator is loose.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what this noise could be?
Old December 31st, 2012 | 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

My guess - Make sure all of the nuts (10mm I think) that hold your rear wiper motor assembly are still attached. I found one of mine very loose while I was is in the liftgate working on something else. I guess vibration can loosen them and that would surely make a nice rattle while driving. Buy some plastic trim retainers in case you break any of the original retainers while prying off the inside trim.
Cheers,
Old December 31st, 2012 | 10:55 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> magician,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Tahoe vehicle. “Aussie John” offers a good suggestion. Another possibility is the noise is coming from the roof or headliner, due to excessive motion of the roof panel. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service