Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2016, 11:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling noise

I have 2007 Suburban with the 5.3 flex fuel engine and 98,000 miles on it. For the last several thousand miles at idle there is a rattling noise coming from the front of the engine. I suspected a bad bearing in one of the belt idler pulleys. Using a mechanic's stethoscope I checked the all the idler pulleys, water pump, power steering pump, AC compressor and alternator. The spring loaded idler pulley on the serpentine belt seemed to be the source as it was the nosiest by far. I replaced it but the noise remains. It is the same with the AC clutch disengaged so it doesn't seem to be the compressor. Nothing seems to have rough bearings if spun by hand.
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some years ago I was looking for a cheap, temporary ride. I came across a mid 90s Ford minivan, and everything worked great. However, there was this loud ticking sound coming from the engine. It sounded like a lifter, or rocker was going bad which would have meant significant repair. Which is also what the owner thought. I kept listening closely for about ten minutes, and realized the sound was actually an echo/amplified sound resulting from a loose exhaust manifold.

Just a though.