Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2018, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear brake pad wear

I have an 07 Suburban. In 2015 at 78,000 miles the passenger side rear inside brake pad was worn down to the metal backing plate, outside pad still had about 1/8" of friction material left.. I suspected a sticking caliper. I changed the caliper, resurfaced the rotor and replaced the pads on both wheels. Now in 2018, 117,000 miles and the same thing has happened. Rear driver side pads still have plenty friction material left. The front pads are original. It seems now it is an issue other than a sticking caliper. Anyone have a similar issue.
Old August 6th, 2018, 8:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by buttanic
I have an 07 Suburban. In 2015 at 78,000 miles the passenger side rear inside brake pad was worn down to the metal backing plate, outside pad still had about 1/8" of friction material left.. I suspected a sticking caliper. I changed the caliper, resurfaced the rotor and replaced the pads on both wheels. Now in 2018, 117,000 miles and the same thing has happened. Rear driver side pads still have plenty friction material left. The front pads are original. It seems now it is an issue other than a sticking caliper. Anyone have a similar issue.
Yeah, some vehicles just dont wear down the brake pads evenly.

I'd pull the calipers off and redo the brake pistons, flush the entire brake system out and install DOT 3 or 4.