Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Nivomat ZW7's versus swaping for hd coil and normal shocks

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2018, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Nivomat ZW7's versus swaping for hd coil and normal shocks

Okay ... so time for new shocks front and rear... 2001 Suburban LT 4x4... rarely if ever gets off road, on occasion will tow a utility trailer or something a little heavier ... but not a mudder or regular hauler.

Have G65 code and what I'll call normal shocks up front, but will take suggestions if anyone has a suggestion for front shocks... don't prefer bottom of the line nor top of the line... just a good comfortable riding shock.

Unfortunately (cost) I have the Sachs - Nivomat rear shocks on rear... I'm an old guy and haven't changed shocks in a long, long time - so obviously the cost of these made me jump back from my computer screen ! haha

okay seems my options are to replace the above and spend about $450 + if not more

OR

Can I replace existing OEM (soft) coil springs with something aftermarket with more support and then go with "normal" shocks in rear. I haven't priced the coil springs (don't know which ones to look for - stiffness) but that may "shock" me as well back to replacing the Nivomats ?

If anyone has any knowledge or advise on this subject I'd appreciate it ...

Thanks DavidV
Old August 2nd, 2018, 6:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2001 Burb had the self-leveling shocks. I towed a lot, and really liked them, so I bit the bullet and replaced them with another set.

If you want to go with regular shocks, then yes, you have to replace the coil springs too.
Old September 28th, 2018, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part numbers please?

Hello, I'm in the same boat....need to replace these zw7 nivomats. Any clues on part numbers? I'm having trouble finding them online, and no one knows what I'm talking about locally (except the dealer who wants 650 bucks each. Ouch). Would appreciate any help you can give....
2000 Suburban 1500, 4 wd, number on shock is 15656794