Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2012, 4:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview Mirror

I have a 02 burban 1500. I was driving at night from work and I noticed my left outside mirror was blurry. I thought maybe I was tired. The next night it was doing it again. I looked at the right side and it was fine. I was told by a mechanic that the electrochromatic glass has gone bad. I said to myself this guy is full of crap. Is their such a thing as this type of glass going bad? Thanks for your help.
Old July 10th, 2012, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gmlover
I have a 02 burban 1500. I was driving at night from work and I noticed my left outside mirror was blurry. I thought maybe I was tired. The next night it was doing it again. I looked at the right side and it was fine. I was told by a mechanic that the electrochromatic glass has gone bad. I said to myself this guy is full of crap. Is their such a thing as this type of glass going bad? Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, I don't think he's full of crap. I believe the electrochromatic glass is supposed to self-darken depending on sunlight. I've seen side-view mirrors & even some rear-view mirrors cracked inside with a brownish-black liquid getting smushed inside the actual mirror. This also makes it extremely difficult to see out of. Maybe someone hit your mirror hard enough to crack the glass inside, but not crack the exterior? Maybe it just went bad? I'm not 100% sure on the particulars, but I hope this can atleast point you in the right direction.
Old July 12th, 2012, 5:26 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The mirror darkens at nite when the sensor detects headlites behind you as does the inside mirror. For some unknown reason the psgr side mirror doesn't dim.
Old July 12th, 2012, 6:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacing those mirrors is very expensive. I had one on a 98 Sub go bad. I replaced it with a cheaper one that did everything except darken.
Old July 13th, 2012, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I saw the brownish liquid this morning leaking at the bottom of the mirror. Thanks for your help.