Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

replacing nav?

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing nav?

anyone knwo the harness # and dash kit # for aftermarket setup replacing the fac nav peice in the 07 tahoe? thanks
Old October 23rd, 2006, 2:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: replacing nav?

GMOS-LAN-02 or GMOS-LAN-01 depending on if you have BOSE system or not. Call jpcustoms.com for parts and they'll also tell you the proper Metra kit for the dash.

I should post photos and information that I did on my 07 Tahoe, replacing the nav and etc.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 2:57 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nilsm,

Please do, i would love the pictures and all the details. Thanks, Landon.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

i have rear ent am i goin to loose that feature with the replacing of the radio?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 3:12 PM
CF Addict

oldskooo,

It is possible that you would lose the rear dvd if you got with an aftermarket unit. However, I dont know I am still waiting for someone to give us all the scoop on what all works!

If you dont lose the rear dvd, it may be possible you lose the flexability to have the radio on while the dvd is playing in the rear listening through head phones. I want to know the answer to this question!
Old October 24th, 2006, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry biglg I was away on vacation when I left all those earlier responses. Give me a few days and I'll post some photos of my setup. You will only loose the rear center console radio controls with an aftermarket radio. You could use the same PAC adapter that you'll use with the steering wheel controls with the rear center console but I bet it'll take some soldering and etc. I been dreaming up some solutions for this but haven't actually physically checked the controls back there.

As far as what you guys are dying to know, it depends on what after market radio you go with, the features you'll have. I went with a Kenwood 6019 and G510 Nav(the nav is made by Garmin). I can completely split the front and rear of the vehicle with completely different sources. What's amazing with the 07 Tahoe(bose speakers) is that when I play for example a dvd movie in the rear for the kids and whatever in the front for my wife and I(XM, TV or etc), the sound is still amazing even know the front and rear speakers are playing different sources. Not only that we're amazed that you can barely hear what is going on in the rear when in front and the opposite is true as well.

My older 01 Tahoe, It was terrible when using the split sources. The speakers would have no bass and etc as it really needed all the speakers playing the same source.

The rear overhead is nothing more than a typical screen. It will integrate with all the the A/V radios out there. You will not loose that.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
CF Addict

Nilsm,

So it will depend on the aftermarket unit that someone would get to determine if it has dual zoning?

I guess you need the dual zoning feature to insert a dvd in the front HU, and it plays in the rear while you are listening to the radio with the front speakers. is this correct?

Secondly, can you have the dvd in the unit, it playing on the rear screen and front screen, and the radio be on? Example, wife up front wants to watch movie on in dash screen, kids want movie on rear screen, dad wants the radio?

Lastly, do you lose the headphone capability with the aftermarket unit? Or are the headphones with the Rear dvd system, not the factory HU?
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

do u know the pac adapter model number by chance?
Old October 25th, 2006, 3:30 AM
CF Beginner

Go here and find the appropriate adapter for your radio.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface
Old October 25th, 2006, 3:43 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: biglg

Nilsm,

So it will depend on the aftermarket unit that someone would get to determine if it has dual zoning?

I guess you need the dual zoning feature to insert a dvd in the front HU, and it plays in the rear while you are listening to the radio with the front speakers. is this correct?

Secondly, can you have the dvd in the unit, it playing on the rear screen and front screen, and the radio be on? Example, wife up front wants to watch movie on in dash screen, kids want movie on rear screen, dad wants the radio?

Lastly, do you lose the headphone capability with the aftermarket unit? Or are the headphones with the Rear dvd system, not the factory HU?
>>So it will depend on the aftermarket unit that someone would get to determine if it has dual zoning?

Correct.

>I guess you need the dual zoning feature to insert a dvd in the front HU, and it plays in the rear while you are listening to the radio with the front speakers. is this correct?

No as you could purchase an overhead that has a built in DVD player.

>>Secondly, can you have the dvd in the unit, it playing on the rear screen and front screen, and the radio be on? Example, wife up front wants to watch movie on in dash screen, kids want movie on rear screen, dad wants the radio?

I can think of a way to do this with my current setup but the speakers would be an issue. The overhead would use headphones. Splitting the front and rear of the car between the radio and front DVD. You're asking a lot here.

>>Lastly, do you lose the headphone capability with the aftermarket unit? Or are the headphones with the Rear dvd system, not the factory HU?

If you're speaking about the IR headphones then you won't loose those providing the installer connects the audio out from the HU to the overhead. IF you're talking about the headphone plugs in the rear center console then yes, you'll loose those unless you want to patch into those.

I need to add that Kenwood makes an A/V switcher device. That addon would open many new setup possibilities. It also provides two seperate headphone jacks with source switchers and volume.

I could type all day about the Kenwood setup but I'm too lazy to do so right now. Sorry.

The Kenwood HU's have the best screens around. I personally would have bought a Pioneer probably but my friend gets the Kenwoods at cost. At this point I'm really glade I own a Kenwood. Yeah the interface may at times seem plain and crude but after a week you won't think so. The new 6019 with the garmin made nav is really awesome. The nav has the XM tuner addon that really is second to none. I have yet to find a better XM addon. It's interface and features are just plain awesome!!!! Since it's in the nav unit(garmin) it's interface is different than the Kenwood and I mean that in a positive way. Just go and read/check into the other XM /Sirius addons for Pioneer or even Kenwood's. They're almost so basic, useless.

More later....

Quick Reply: replacing nav?