Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Resealing 7.4 Vortec in 2500 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2014, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resealing 7.4 Vortec in 2500 Suburban

I am strongly attached to my 99 Suburban 4x4 2500 which has started leaking in numerous places. Rear axle had to be resealed, transfer case and torque convertor seal as well as manifold and water pump with hoses all fairly recently. Now there is oil all over the starter and spots on the driveway. Crankcase venting was resealed but oil continues. How far do I need to go to seal this up? Is the rear crank seal suspect at 110,000 miles or is there another culprit?
Old January 2nd, 2014, 7:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your mileage is fairly low for the year. but honestly it's hard to say without seeing it. your best bet might me to get some brake cleaner and clean the mess up, then try to pinpoint exactly were the leak is coming from, or your other option is to take it to a shop
Old January 3rd, 2014, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rapidcarl
I am strongly attached to my 99 Suburban 4x4 2500 which has started leaking in numerous places. Rear axle had to be resealed, transfer case and torque convertor seal as well as manifold and water pump with hoses all fairly recently. Now there is oil all over the starter and spots on the driveway. Crankcase venting was resealed but oil continues. How far do I need to go to seal this up? Is the rear crank seal suspect at 110,000 miles or is there another culprit?
I guess the real question is where are the soft spots in keeping the fluids in. I'm an old Porsche 911 man and have a bit of a flinch when oil leaks begin. With some engines the best cure is to just do it all at one time and be done. With some makes there are common weak spots (BMW) which can be addressed regularly and easily. What do I have, an easy one or a tough one?
Old January 3rd, 2014, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

may be a leaking oil pan gasket. If you want to check the rear main seal there are inspection covers in the bell housing the can be removed for inspection.

post some pics
Old January 5th, 2014, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I have decided to replace the oil pressure sending unit and reseal the oil filter flange, based on research, and I'll have them pull the covers to peek at the inside of the bell housing.