Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Reverse Sensor/Remote Start Help - Please.

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2006, 7:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Sensor/Remote Start Help - Please.

Hi all, I知 a newbie to this particular forum so thank you for your help in advance.

A week ago I was going fishing at 4:30am and needless to say I wasn't fully awake when I backed out of my driveway and into a tree. Guess I was going over 3mph because the reverse sensors only started going off after I was bumper deep in this tree. So I fixed the bumper with my foot and a few choice words but one of the reverse sensors has been cracked, which I could care less about but now my dash display constantly reads "Service Park Assist". I did the whole On Star thing, they couldn't eliminate the dash display and said I either need to remove the fuse, push the check button every time I start the car for as long as I own it, or have it serviced by Mr. Goodwrench. The problem with removing the fuse is that the power tailgate is on the same fuse as the sensors. Can I still open and close the tailgate manually (I壇 prefer that actually)? My second questions is, because I don't really care about the reverse sensors, I don't want to pay Mr. Goodwrench to fix it, I just want the display on my dash gone. Any ideas? Is there a way to disable the sensors permanently so the display will go away?

Oh yeah, one more question. Is there any way to override the Remote Start so it値l keep the engine running longer than 10 minutes? 20 minutes would be better. I know you can do two remote starts in a row before having to put the key in the ignition, I just always forget to restart it after the initial 10 minutes.

BTW, I have about 1,200 miles on her now and am averaging 15.5 mpg with mixed use driving on fossil fuel. I certainly wish there were more E85 stations, unfortunately the only ones within 100 mile radius of me are on military bases, which I don稚 have access to.

Thanks again, great forum, I値l be around.
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Reverse Sensor/Remote Start Help - Please.

I'm sure you probably know this but you don't have to wait until the truck shuts off to extend the run time ( or use your second remote start - 2 is the limit)

From manual...
The vehicle can be remote started two separate
times between driving sequences. The engine will
run for 10 minutes after each remote start.
Or, you can extend the engine run time by another
10 minutes within the first 10 minute remote
start time frame, and before the engine stops.
For example, if the lock button and then the remote
start buttons are pressed again after the vehicle has
been running for five minutes, 10 minutes are
added, allowing the engine to run for 15 minutes.
The additional ten minutes are considered a
second remote vehicle start.
Old December 14th, 2006, 9:17 PM
CF Senior Member

You've got 1200 miles on it and you don't plan on fixing it?
Old December 16th, 2006, 6:16 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: tahoe07
I'm sure you probably know.....
Actually I didn't until last night. I spent some serious time with my nose buried in the owners' manual and I've got to admit, Chevy does a good manual. Learned a bunch of stuff, like why my spare key doesn't work, the back up sensors are supposed to work up to 5 mph (not 3 like I thought), still trying to figure out why some CD's, in new cond.,don't play, etc, etc.

ORIGINAL: doo600
You've got 1200 miles on it and you don't plan on fixing it?
Nah, it just adds character . My Tahoe is a fishing, dog hauling, boat towing, snow ripping, gravel road tearing, skiing/snowboarding machine and I plan on beating the tar out of it. Reverse sensors are the least of my worries. Like the saying goes, stuff happens.