Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Riddle me this Batman............

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2016, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riddle me this Batman............

If there isn't a cabin air filter in my 2004 Suburban, then how do I get rid of the horrid odor that fills the air every time I turn on the A/C? HMMMMM? It's terrible. I think mainly from the recent fire we had in the area. AND, if there isn't a filter, then where to all the dead leaves and bug parts go? Are they just building up in there where the filter SHOULD go? adding to the pleasant aroma in my truck?
Old August 11th, 2016, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the smell could be from a bacterial growth on the material collected on an old cabin filter. It could also be bacterial/mould growth on moisture on the evaporator. It also be from a blocked evap drain.

open the cabin filter door and inspect the filter. While the filter is out, spray a smoke bomb deodorizer/microbial agent into the air box with the blower on high. this will coat the evaporator to prevent growth.

depending on the year, there is a afterblow feature that can be activated by the dealer that runs the blower motor after the car is shut off. This helps prevent conditions that cause growth on the evaporator.

don't be surprized if there is a filter door but no filter present.
Old August 12th, 2016, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no cabin filter. Only solid plastic where one should be. I learned that they stopped putting those in back in 2003. So, I am going to remove the plastic where the filter door should be, clean the inside, carefully, and install a filter element. I know this can be done. I can't be the first to have this problem.

And I figure a little bit of clorox clean up in there should kill whatever is festering.
LOL!

Thanks

Jane
Old August 12th, 2016, 7:29 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Don't forget to check the evaporator drain to make sure it's open.
Old August 12th, 2016, 7:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

its hit and miss on the doors. my 2000 pick up came with the door but no filter. You should be able to buy a door kit. Some version have a cut-out traced in the hvac box and you just have to cut it out. a sharp blade heated with a micro torch works best to cut/melt through the box.

they make a deodorizer anti-microbial spray that will coat and adhere to the evaporator without clogging it up.
Old August 13th, 2016, 9:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My 03 dosen't have a cabin air filter either, with that a filter won't stop condensation, and as was pointed out, make sure the condensate drain isn't plugged.
Old August 13th, 2016, 9:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My 2000 suburban has cabin air filters, my 03 dosen't.
Old August 15th, 2016, 4:43 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Use the proper cleaner, so you don't corrode your evap coil or ruin your upholstery
AC Evap cleaner