Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

S&B Filter CAI

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&B Filter CAI

Hi guys new here to the forum and wondered if anyone had any experience with S&B's CAI.
I did a search and couldn't find any info. The reason I am leaning toward S&B is that they are the only
company doing any sort of filtration info. A mechanic friend told me that the vortec motors do not hold up well if they ingest very much dirt.

Thanks for the help.

Paul
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: S&B Filter CAI

Did you check out TrueFlow? They have a good video.
Old August 4th, 2007, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

No, I haven't but I will take a look. I am wanting fully enclosed system for dirt restriction so that leaves out about 90% of the CAI on the market. I have had Volant in the past on my Avalanche and I thought that it ran better when stock so I took it off, plus gas mileage droped close to 2 mpg. That is why I am going to research a little more this time.

Thanks for the response
Paul
Old August 4th, 2007, 2:52 PM
CF Active Member

I can vouch for S&B's quality in general. I run S&B filters in my Viper and most of my other vehicles, and the guys at Roe Racing (a local very well-known Viper performance shop) are very good friends of mine who do a huge amount of business with S&B, including some relatively complex custom work (when you're dealing with 1200+ HP racing applications, even the filter details can get complicated).

Old August 4th, 2007, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

There website says they have been in business for 30 years building filters for other companies although they do not say who. They seem like a professional organization, except noboby on the boards knows anything about them. I like them though and I think I am going to give them a try plus there CAI is only $269 on there website and that seems reasonable to me.

Thanks for the Info McGuirev10

Paul

Old August 4th, 2007, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

One more thing they seem to take filters very seriously and also to lots of scientific analyisis and testing which seems more involved than the run of the mill CAI company from what i have seen.

Paul
Old August 4th, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

I am just wanting something that will free up a few ponies, sound kick-ss when you stand on it and will not do any harm to the engine by way of dirt ingestion. I will post my thoughts when I get it in and installed.

Paul
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hi PabloGreystone,

How is the S&B working out for you? Are you noticing any mpg gains or losses? I'm torn between the S&B and the Volant.

I saw some post on S&B QA on shipping. Sometimes they didn't have all of the hardware included. Other than that it seems as if people liked there product.

Thx
Old October 31st, 2007, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Bigblackchevy

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I have been busy and haven't checked in with the forum to see what is happening. Anyway I did in fact get the S&B intake and I really like it alot, and the quality seems on par or better than K&N or Volant, and I did not have any problems with missing pieces or customizing the product at all. Now it does have a nice growl on med to heavy acceleration, and sounds stock on light acceleration. Here is the thing I also added a Diablosport Predator at the same time and have noticed a sizable improvement in my gas mileage, like before it would get 15 in town and now it is getting 17(YEAH). I also took a trip to the mountains of southern NM, about 800mi round trip and coming home with a quartering tailwind of 20mph we got 22.7mpg and the hoe has never ever broke 20mpg in the 11000miles that we have owned it. So the bad news is, I don't know if the intake did the improvement or the programmer or both. On a side note after the programmer was installed I can now get into V4 mode much easier and for much longer periods of time, seems like for minutes instead of seconds when coasting, in fact on level roads in light winds it will stay in V4 upto 50-55mph. Hope this helps!

Paul
Old October 31st, 2007, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

No problem.

I actually decided to go the True Flow Sealed Intake route. I also purchased an Airaid Throttlebody Spacer. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow and I will install it friday or sat. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thx

Quick Reply: S&B Filter CAI