Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service Park Assist Won't Go Away

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2018, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Park Assist Won't Go Away

So had a minor bump/scrape on the rear right bumper cover. One of the rear reverse sensors got scratched up. Ordered a new one, along with the housing. Took the bumper off without problems, used a blow dryer to undent the bumper. Heated the scratched house and used a scraper razor to pull it off of the bumper. Used JB Weld epoxy to attach the new housing, and installed the new sensor. Was feeling pretty good for a couple hours of effort, until I went to test the rear sensors, and the Service Park Assist message will not go away.

I read a bunch of forum posts and tried a bunch of stuff. My main question/concern is I can't hear or feel any clicking or buzzing from any of the sensors when the car is in reverse. Can someone confirm that the Tahoe behaves this way, that there is a detectable buzzing or clicking from each of any working sensors? I did get back under the bumper and made sure the entire sensor harness was plugged in as best I could.

I have also read where I need to try:
* Disconnect/reconnect the fuse to the rear sensors....tried that.
* Disconnect the battery for a minute...tried that
* Disconnect the battery for 'several' minutes...haven't tried that.
* Drive over 15 mph...tried that
* Drive over 15 miles...haven't tried that yet
* Magically the sensors start working again after a few days...haven't tried that.
* Get a Tech2 and see what if any sensor is out....haven't tried yet.
* Unplug all the sensors and see if there is a problem with harness/replace harness...haven't tried yet.
* I did paint the new sensor with one of those paint pens...I guess that could be interfering, but would expect it to buzz anyway.

So basically just looking for some confirmation that I should expect to detect the buzzing of working sensors on a 2010 Tahoe, and if I should just give it some time, or if I should move on to getting a few more sensors, a replacement harness, etc., since it seems like this is black magic voodoo from what I have read on trying to get that message cleared and Rear Park Assist working again.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

I apologize in advance for bumping, but my post took a couple of days to get through moderation since it was my first and has very few views because it inserted when I originally created the post instead of when it was approved, I think. My wife is breathing down my neck, so anyone who has any insight whether you can physically detect (buzz/click) that the backup sensors are working on the Tahoe, would be much appreciated. Trying to figure out if it is still the sensors, or the object alarm module, harness, etc. Again, apologize for bumping, and it won't happen again.
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Are you saying that when you back up close to something that you do not get any beep tones inside the cabin?
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Correct the DIC displays Service Park Assist and does not make noise. I've replaced the sensor (and it's housing) that was damaged in the minor bender, but that didn't seem to do the trick. So trying to figure out if it is something with the wiring, or other sensors or possibly the object alarm module (under the passenger seat I believe?). In some discussions of how the system works, it is claimed that you should be able to detect the buzz/clicking of working sensors when you switch the ignition to accessory mode, and change gears from neutral to reverse, but none of my sensors are doing that and was wondering if that was an indication of some wiring or other issue, or if that particular technique of sensor detection even works for a tahoe. Thanks!
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

First I've heard of the sensors themselves making any kind of sound.
Old February 28th, 2018, 3:07 AM
CF Beginner

Not going to try to post any links, but if you do any kind of youtube search for "rear sensor troubleshooting" or "backup sensor troubleshooting", you will find plenty of videos demonstrating the technique. My assumption is that this is the same for the Tahoe 2010 (and I did see a demonstration video for a cadillac cts 2011), but wanted to doublecheck here, or see if I need to start looking elsewhere in the park assist system.
Old March 4th, 2018, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Finally got it worked out. A different new sensor got things working. Could be the crappy paint pen job I did on the first. But I ordered another wire harness, and from that realized I should be able to test the existing one (the existing one was covered in muck and not immediately clear how the wire arrangement), and the existing one checked out. Swapping out the bad new sensor with the good new one, and the Service Park Assist went away on its own without any voodoo.