Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Severe Oil Leak !!?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2022, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Oil Leak !!?

Well guys I have a 2008 Z71 5.3 that has a oil leak coming from the oil pan or it could even be the rear main seal. A few years back I had to change the oil pan due to a crack. A new oil pan and gasket was installed and the leaks had stopped. But over the years I noticed the engine was losing oil and staining the driveway. While under the truck this morning I noticed oil on the rear of the oil pan and it was also on the sway bar thats near the oil pan. Are these symptoms of a rear main seal?? Being this is a 4x4 it looks pretty complex.

Are there any other things I can check that may be causing oil leaks?

Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Today I replaced the oil dipstick tube with a dorman replacement. The old tube the mounting bracket was broke which allowed the dipstick to move around. While replacing it I flashed a light up the rear passenger cylinder head and I could see a path where it looks like oil was draining down...Could a bad valve cover cause a large enough leak to leak down the cylinder head?
Old May 24th, 2022, 8:52 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LSpann
Today I replaced the oil dipstick tube with a dorman replacement. The old tube the mounting bracket was broke which allowed the dipstick to move around. While replacing it I flashed a light up the rear passenger cylinder head and I could see a path where it looks like oil was draining down...Could a bad valve cover cause a large enough leak to leak down the cylinder head?
Yes Especially that you can see a path coming down. Don't forget that the engine tilts down at the rear so that's where all the oil runs back to.
Old May 26th, 2022, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks. I was able to put my hand between the head / valve cover on the passenger side rear and my fingers came out oily. Is there a write for this?? Or do i just unbolt the coils then remove the valve cover bolts?
Old May 27th, 2022, 7:55 AM
CF Pro Member

alldatadiy.com has the full shop manual for your truck. I have a subscription for each of my vehicles and I'm a very experienced wrench turner. It's good to have when doing your own work.
Old May 30th, 2022, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

This weekend changed both valve cover gaskets and changed the oil to see if the leak would slow down. I am still getting oil drops on the starter motor, a little between the transmission housing and oil pan. While under the truck I removed the transmission cover to see if oil would pour out and it was clean looking at the flywheel/torque converter.

im getting 40 psi oil pressure at idle..I was thinking maybe an oil gallery plug or something came out but I heard I would have 0 oil pressure if this occured??? Can someone point me to some other places where oil could leak...I'm thinking it's coming from the passenger side rear of the motor somewhere...

Can the valley cover leak or intake manifold leak oil?
Old June 1st, 2022, 6:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Oil pressure sender is on the back of the motor. They can leak and still work. Mirror on a stick is helpful when looking at the back of the top of the motor and other tight spots.
Old June 7th, 2022, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

I was able to get a good look at the oil pressure sender using my iphone everything seems to be clean back there. While checking for leaks I unloosed all bolts and removed the 2 skinny long bolts that go from oil pan to the rear cover. And loosened the transmission to oil pan bolts then retorqued everything just incase the pan was not aligned correctly. After all that I poured oil back in here and I could see a small line of oil leaking on the passenger rear of the oil pan. RTV was used in all 4 corners but I was thinking maybe I didnt allow the rtv to dry?

The only other thing I can think of that may be the issue is the oil pan gasket. It's a knock off Ultrapower brand.
Old March 29th, 2024, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Any luck? Having Same issue!!!

Originally Posted by LSpann
I was able to get a good look at the oil pressure sender using my iphone everything seems to be clean back there. While checking for leaks I unloosed all bolts and removed the 2 skinny long bolts that go from oil pan to the rear cover. And loosened the transmission to oil pan bolts then retorqued everything just incase the pan was not aligned correctly. After all that I poured oil back in here and I could see a small line of oil leaking on the passenger rear of the oil pan. RTV was used in all 4 corners but I was thinking maybe I didnt allow the rtv to dry?

The only other thing I can think of that may be the issue is the oil pan gasket. It's a knock off Ultrapower brand.
any luck?
Old March 29th, 2024, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

@black beauty
Please post a new thread with your vehicle info. Thanks.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; March 29th, 2024 at 6:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Severe Oil Leak !!?