Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Should I be scared about buying a diesel Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2012, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be scared about buying a diesel Suburban?

Hey everyone, first let me thank you for all of the great threads that I've read so far. I've actually been reading this site for a few months now, but I decided to register today to post something that I haven't seen come up yet. So here it goes...

I am going to be in the market for a used Suburban in the next few months. My wife and I will be getting a travel trailer next year and I need something to tow it with. We've looked at crew cab trucks but have decided that a Suburban fits our needs the best. I would be looking at a 97-02 model year most likely, either in 2500 (preferred) or 1500 configurations.

I know that in the 97-99 years these were available with a diesel engine. I've never owned a diesel before, and while it seems like a good idea for a vehicle that will only be used for towing on long-ish trips, I've got some concerns that I'm not sure are justified. I keep hearing about the "new" ultra low sulfur diesel and how it is not compatible with engines made before the mid 2000's or so. If you use the ULSD with an engine from, say a 97-99 Suburban, without using a fuel additive will it damage the engine beyond repair?

My concern is if the previous owner may not have always used the fuel additive that I may be looking at expensive repairs down the road. Is this a valid concern? Any way to check on/test/inspect before I buy to find out if it's been run without the additives?

What say you? (Thanks for all of the help!)
Old August 21st, 2012, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what is your budget? if you can afford it, try to get the 6.6 duramax, '01 or newer. this is a far superior diesel than the 6.5 offered in the 90's. the downfall is that there are not very many 'burbs with duramax out there. i have seen a couple, and yes they were factory. or, possibly a crew cab truck with rear sliding window and a canopy. trucks are dime a dozen with the duramax.

the 6.5 from the 90's is problematic with lift pump, injector pumps going bad. some will say the duramax has issues, which is true, but parts and service are far far far more readily available.
Old August 21st, 2012, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you maxxman04. I glad you told me about the diesels in the newer (but not newest, as I don't like those as much, plus I have to worry about the budget) Suburbans.

I have not yet seen a newer body style (00-06) in a diesel, but info like this is why I am starting my search now vs later this year or early next. This way, if I come across one that I like I can go ahead and snap it up, but if I don't find what I'm looking for right away I still have time to keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again for your advice - I appreciate it.
Old August 21st, 2012, 9:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcannon
Thank you maxxman04. I glad you told me about the diesels in the newer (but not newest, as I don't like those as much, plus I have to worry about the budget) Suburbans.

I have not yet seen a newer body style (00-06) in a diesel, but info like this is why I am starting my search now vs later this year or early next. This way, if I come across one that I like I can go ahead and snap it up, but if I don't find what I'm looking for right away I still have time to keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again for your advice - I appreciate it.
your search for a diesel burb may take awhile, and you may have to look far and wide. but look hard enough, and you will be rewarded. in 07, i bought my 2004 2500hd with duramax. i was living in seattle, and found the truck on craigslist in atlanta. truck turned out to be best vehicle purchase i ever made. this was when these trucks went for $30k plus. picked mine up for just under $20k. this included shipping from atlanta to seattle. sometimes it's far worth it to look EVERYWHERE, and take a weekend to fly out and check it. obviously get as much info and pics as you can before flying out. good luck.