Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Should we get into a high mile 07 Burb LTZ

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should we get into a high mile 07 Burb LTZ

We bought a 2005 Tahoe back on 2012. It barely had 105k miles on it. It had a dent on the back comer panel (driver side).It's PAID OFF!!! It runs GREAT. It has 123k miles on it now and has a minor lag when I crank it, and the wear and tear from our kids but that's it! It has been a VERY faithful vehicle!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Tahoe. It's just our family is outgrowing it. We have 4 kids, one being 16 months old, and the other 3 are very tall or lengthy children. Our oldest is 13 and when he has to sit in the very back he's eating his knees! There is ZERO "trunk" space, as well. NO ROOM for a shroller at all let alone groceries for our larger family. So we are currently looking for a newer used suburban.

My husband found a 2007 Suburban LTZ with almost 200k miles on it for about 15k. I am NOT thrilled!!! I would be giving up my 123k mile Tahoe for something I know nothing about and has 200k miles!!! To me that seems like they are asking a lot for 200k miles!! That's almost what we paid for our 2005 Tahoe with way less miles in 2012. I am the wife of an expert mechanic so he's trained me to be pretty critical with this and to always do my homework but he is kind of being pushy about getting this Suburban! He's getting concerned about us outgrowing the Tahoe. I've checked prices of motors and transmissions for it, just to get an idea of what we could get ourselves into if it was to breakdown on us, and they are pretty pricey. What are your opinions?? I don't know if it's just my attachment to the my Tahoe that only has 123k miles on it, the fact that it's PAID OFF, or the Suburban has 200k miles on it... I just don't know but I've got an uneasy feeling about this! Please help!!
Old October 3rd, 2016, 1:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I paid $5600 cash for an 03 with 194K. This has the service records from day one. The previous owner used nothing but AC/Delco (even the oil filter) with lucas treatment. Other than a couple light bulbs, and blend door actuator no problems. I'd be cautious also. That price to me is high, will they negotiate?
Old October 3rd, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband just drove it by the house on his lunch break and it is a very nice truck. They did come down on the price to a little over 12k and offered "for an additional $600 we can have a 36k mile 3 year warranty put on it". My husband, being a mechanic, did notice some minor issues such as the tires needed to be balanced and rotated and other LITTLE things but it was clean and quite nice. He also said it ran pretty good from what he could tell. It just scares me to death getting into something with that many miles. I trust Chevy! I have had so many Chevrolet vehicles that have been amazing vehicles, just none with this many miles one them. Not to mention I just love the fact we don't have a truck payment but we are getting cramped as our kiddos are growing like weeds!!
Old October 3rd, 2016, 6:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

One thing I wouldn't trust is that engine. GM really messed up the 5.3 when they put in Active Fuel Management in 2007. If it was me, that reason alone is a dealbreaker. Notice that neither of my two trucks has the 5.3.

184k is pretty high mileage. I'd suggest finding a Yukon XL Denali or an Escalade ESV - either of those will have the 6.2L engine, and they're even nicer than an LTZ.

I'm also not a big fan of extended warranties. My inner skeptic says the warranty company will try to weasel out of every and any claim.