Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Radio

First of all Hello to all my fellow Tahoe owners. I am the proud owner of a 2007 LTZ.I am also a current subscriber of Sirius and recently cancelled my XM in the Tahoe and installed a portable Sirius tuner thru the audio jack. After hearing of the merger I called Sirius and was told that it should work on its own when the merger is final but if I did not want to wait I should go to the dealer TODAY and they could swap out the "CHIP" from XM to Sirius. I may be wrong but this just sounds ridiculous to me. Any insight into this would be helpful as my current portable is getting old and beat up and the alternator whine is getting annoying. I tried the fm modulator route and that was worse with all the static and i even plugged it in to the rear inputs and had terrible whine.
Old March 9th, 2007, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Sirius Radio

I have heard this as well on Howard. That there is a way to convert GM radiosfrom XM to Sirius without having to add an external reciever. If anyone knows speak up before I sign up for XM. I love my Sirius in my other car and hate that I have to have two subscriptions.
Old March 9th, 2007, 7:30 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done but you do have to swap out the tuner, here is a link to the item:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1152812370950

If you would like to use the factory XM antenna in your Tahoe then you can purchase this nifty lttle adaptor:

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-dual...er-p-3910.html

Old March 9th, 2007, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for the reply. I actually looked at both those items in the past but was under the impression that the sirius tuner was for the older models up to 2006.
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nikos72

Thanks so much for the reply. I actually looked at both those items in the past but was under the impression that the sirius tuner was for the older models up to 2006.
It is. That tuner, I believe the model number is GM-1 is not compatible with the 2007 radio.
Also, the downlink frequencies for the XM and Sirius birds are different, so the XM antenna on the Tahoe will not work very well if you use itto receiveSirius.
I'm in the same situation and will continue to use my Sirius dash mount receiver until the merger, then I'll switch to XM.
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
CF Active Member

I emailed Sirius a while back and they confirmed that the GM-1 will not work with 07 GM rigs. They had no indication whether a "GM-2" was in the works. I am like you, I will wait and cross my fingers that the merger will go through. It would be nice to control the satellite tuner through the factory head unit.
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My bad,
I had the GM-1 on an older Tahoe and it didn't even dawn on me the differences between the 2006 ADG Class-2 serial data and current 2007 GMLAN.

I used the OEM XM antenna with XM-Sirius adaptor and had no issues with reception at all. Sirius broadcasts on the S band between 2320 and 2332.5 MHz and XM between 2332.5 to 2345.0 MHz
This frequency range is so tight that either antenna will work flawlessly with both services provided you use the proper adaptive equipment.

Long story short though: no way to swap chip's in OEM Delco XM tuner.
Old June 6th, 2007, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Folks
I also purchased an 2007 Tahoe. Unfortunately, the GM-1 tuner does not work in the '07 Tahoe's...only up to 2006. Evidently, we have a "special" radio that Sirius hasn't developed a tuner for yet. This of course really sucks because XM sucks! If anyone has heard of the release of the new tuner "not exterior module" I'd really appreciate the info. It isn't in the general market yet (e.g., Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc.). Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2007, 6:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Just sit tight... According to a letter I received from XM, the merger between XM and Sirius is going to put all XM stations onto Sirius and all Sirius onto XM. I'm not sure how they're going to do that, but they said that all XM receivers will work flawlessly with the added channels.
Old June 7th, 2007, 3:31 PM
CF Junior Member

hey ZX, without starting another argument, i'd like to ask; with all this talk about the infamous"merger",why havn't you commented on how it's only a fabricated marketing stunt? truly and honestly i've had enough of the previous crap. it's just a straight up question.

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio