Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

so i installed a new intake system

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: so i installed a new intake system

I thought the GM one looked pretty good. Back in the day, we'd just turn the air cleaner lid upside down for that aggressive sound.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1hot650,
Would you post some pictures please! I may get the K&N kit and just use an AEM dry flow filter. What are the measurements of the K&N Filter in the kit!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 2:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't figure out how to post pictures send them to me and I'll post them for you. lillge8208@comcast.net
Old January 2nd, 2007, 2:14 PM
CF Active Member

I purchased an AFE Stage 2 kit. Have had no complaints so far. It's "sealed" and was easy to install. Not sure if it is dry or oiled though. I will look and post some pics after vacation.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 5:01 PM
CF Addict

Well, I was playing around on autoanything.com today. Their site was showing an AEM intake for the 2007 tahoes. AEM's site didnt show anything for the 07 tahoe! So I called AEM, they said it was available now! The AEM part number is 21-8023DC is the silver tube, and 21-8023DP is the polished tube. They are supposed to be emailing me the information today! I will let you know what I find out.

If anyone is looking for a n intake kit, these are awesome, they look great because of the aluminum tube, and the filter is the OIL FREE type so no worries there!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 5:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Aluminum tube retains heat from the engine compartment heating up the intake air thus making less horsepower. Do they have a plastic tube?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 5:43 PM
CF Addict

I have read a lot of arguements on this. I have had both and couldnt tell a difference. Here is AEM's explanation!

Q:
Why does AEM use aluminum for its intake piping?

A:
Our Chief Engineer John Concialdi provides an explanation of the difference between Aluminum vs. Steel vs. Plastic in inlet piping:

The issue of heat absorption with an intake system has a degree of validity, however we have found that too much emphasis is placed on material selection, instead of the real issue of tuning the system. Our systems feature a unique shape and diameter because this is what we found to make the most useable torque and horsepower for each individual application in testing. However, for the purposes of this discussion, we will limit it to why we choose to make our systems from aluminum and the effects of heat absorption on all materials. If you do not wish to review all of this information right now, a quick synopsis of this discussion is outlined in the following bullet points, with complete topic discussions below:

[ul][*]We use aluminum to eliminate any chance of the system rusting, and it's lighter than steel[*]We limit our use of plastic because this material absorbs some of the sound energy we work to create in the inlet duct[*]Whether or not an inlet system is made from aluminum, steel or plastic, the thermal conductivity of the duct material has little effect on engine power[*]The rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material
[/ul]We use aluminum—or a combination of aluminum and plastic plenums for throttle-body-injected applications that require a special plenum—for every intake we produce. This eliminates any chance of rust occurring on the inside of the inlet pipe. We have seen chrome-plated steel systems whose inner diameter became rusted over time, causing flakes of rust to travel along the inlet path. We also choose aluminum because of its lightweight properties. Heavier components place higher loads on the brackets they are attached to—or even worse, to the pipes they are attached to. We combine our lightweight aluminum design with a flexible coupling device we call a soft mount that connects the intake system to the body of the vehicle. In addition to the soft mount, we use doublers at the point where the mounting bracket is welded to the pipe for additional strength.

We limit our use of plastic because this material absorbs some of the sound energy we work to create in the inlet duct. Although we use the best plastic material for our plenums, it is still not as resilient and does not retain the visual appeal of aluminum over long-term use. Because we have to use plastic on throttle body applications, we take extra precautions to ensure that the aluminum retaining ring that attaches to the throttle body is anchored securely into the plastic plenum; this is done by making an interlocking mechanical link between the plastic and aluminum.

Whether or not an inlet system is made from aluminum, steel, or plastic, the thermal conductivity of the duct material has little effect on engine power. We have found that the tuning of the pipe, in addition to providing the coolest inlet air source, are the keys to making useable power. We perform engine inlet-air-temp studies when developing each application to determine the coolest location for sourcing inlet air. In addition to this, we determine the safest location for the inlet source to protect it from highly dusty conditions and water. To this end, we provide a stainless-steel heat shield to help minimize heat soak into the inlet area, as well as to provide protection from dust, dirt and mud.

At light throttle opening, air speed and airflow at the inlet system are relatively low. The high residence time of air in the inlet while at low-throttle settings will increase inlet charge temps when materials with high thermal conductivity are used. Typically, when someone is at light throttle they are not asking the engine to make power. Most likely, fuel economy is the issue.

When the throttle is fully opened however, air speed and airflow increase considerably. Typically, the inlet air speed of a 5.7L engine with a four-inch duct at full throttle is 34 feet-per-second, based on a volumetric efficiency of 70% and an engine speed of 3,000 rpm. Most inlet systems for every intake manufacturer for this engine are 30 inches or less. This means that the air in the duct of a 30-inch inlet length on this engine at the given rpm is 1/10th of a second—hardly enough time to transfer an appreciable amount of heat into the air stream on any system.

Basically, the rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material. We hope that this helps to clear up the issues of material heat absorption in intake systems.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 1:10 AM
CF Junior Member

hey biglg, i'll post pictures of the intake kit tomorrow as soon as i get home from work. but i will say this it did help my gas mileage a little bit.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 1:14 AM
CF Addict

Awesome, I would love to see the pictures! Thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 1:18 AM
CF Junior Member

I have a Volant for sale if intersted, has about 1000 miles of use

Quick Reply: so i installed a new intake system