Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Somebody please help me

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2012, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please help me

I have a 1993 Chevy suburban 4x4 with the 5.7l with overdrive. Every single time that i hit the brakes, the truck stalls completely. It restarts perfectly fine. this was an intermittent problem for a couple months but now does it every time. When i put the vehicle in reverse, i can hear a clicking and clunking sound but can not pin point where it is coming from. The truck runs and drives fine and shifts fine. has several newer parts. distributor, plugs and wires, fuel pump and filter, alternater, starter etc. The truck still dies even if it is in neutral so that makes me think that it is not the torque converter. Im at my witts end on what it could possibly be. I do not hear any noise from the brakes that would indicate a vaccum leak, and the brakes work great. ABS light has been on again and off again for quite some time but has never affected the brakes performance. somebody please help me out
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Full disclosure - I have never worked on a problem like this, so just throwing out ideas to check...

Does it die inependent of how hard he brakes are pushed? IE if you put it in neutral on the driveway, not moving, and press the brakes, does it kill the engine? Or only if you're having to press the brakes hard enough to stop the vehicle? Also, sounds like you're able to get it in gear, so it doesn't have this problem with brakes applied to put it into gear from park?

Asking because if it had this issue even in park, or on the driveway, could possibly be something related to the brake lights or brake light switch on the brake pedal causing an electrical short?
I realize I'm biased, I think I'm chasing an electrical gremlin myself (mine related to misfire), so I'm suspecting wiring things right now

I would also try to get the codes for ABS light, if it is something electrical/sensor related, that could feel lik it 'fits' in the same wiring issue concern.
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

I am in the driveway i press the breaks to shift and it behaves normally with no problems. I brake again to shift in it drive and it behaves fine. Once i drive it any distance i press the brakes to stop and thats when it dies. The transmission has only 5 k on it. I was thinking it could be a sensor but i have no idea which one it could be. I was also thinking that it could be a brake booster.
Old September 27th, 2012, 9:46 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Try blocking the vacuum line to the power brake booster. That'll tell you if it's the culprit.