Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Sound coming from speaker in head liner

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound coming from speaker in head liner

Hello,
I searched posts but couldn't find anything about the problem I've got. In the head liner there is a small speaker/mic (?) installed just above and left of the drivers head. There is a buzz'ing noise coming from the speaker and its driving me nuts. This is on an '08 Tahoe. Does anyone know what the heck this is coming from and/or how to fix it? I took it in and they charged me $95 to tell me they "couldn't replicate the problem".
ANY help would be much appreciated.
ZX, have you heard of this?
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Sound coming from speaker in head liner

That is a little fan that PULLS air from the truck into a temperature sensor it is part of the Auto AC?heat system, it pulls in air which is close to the driver to get a good reading on how to adjust the temp in the car, they shouldn't have charged you anything it would be under warranty.i had one go bad in my old '03 suburban and they replaced it with out any problems, sounded like an airplane over my head .
Old February 17th, 2008, 8:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a known problem, fan making a noise,dealershould replace it. They didn't tell you it was a fan and not a speaker??? Perhaps you said "speaker buzzing" and they didn't analize correctly.

You should not be chargesd for warranty service. Some delaers charge for their time if there is no problem found. When they do find out what it is, they charge GM for their time.

Call dealer back and get thm on track!!
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
CF Active Member

In my service job I told them there was a buzz coming from the overhead speaker...which is likely why they didn't know what the heck I was talking about. If its the fan I'll be sure to take it back and hope that I can have the first booking reimbursed. I guess it's only fair from their end that they charged me since I told them something that it wasn't...I didn't realize it was a fan! Thanks for the feedback and setting ME straight!
GIXXER
Old February 18th, 2008, 1:05 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

wow....dude....demand your money back. Its not your fault that the techs there do not know their *** from a hole in the ground. Do you know how many people bring there vehicles in under warranty saying they think the noise is one thing when its another? And the first thing they should be doing is checking TSB's for the problem.
sorry to rant but I don't see how they even thought they could charge you for something they got paid for already by GM. All they did was write a no fault found...tech go paid and so did the advisor....and now they charge you $95?? If they don't return your money....go higher up man....cause a stink, they will be in big ****
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't be a big problem, it is the fan as mentioned and you should not have been charged for a "could not duplicate" diagnosis.
With your $95 bill in hand phone the dealer and speak with the service manager, explain that it is not your fault that they failed to fully understand your concern, if he does not offer a refund then speak with the General Manager.
I cannot imagine this not being resolved (you getting refund) fairly easily though.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:57 AM
CF Active Member

WOW $95! I would go back like ZX said and talk to management. The speaker in my Silverado makes noise like you described, but my Avalanche is a little quieter. I don't think that it is anything to worry about.
Old February 18th, 2008, 4:48 PM
CF Veteran

Just so no one else is confused...lets not call it a speaker anymore!!!

It is an intake fan.
Old February 18th, 2008, 5:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought that it was called an ambient temperature sensor fan.
I learn something new everyday.

This little speaker can make excessive noise if it's not installed correctly from the factory, the dealer can simply remove it and re-install it with some care, it is normal however for a little bit of noise to come from the unit at times.
Old February 18th, 2008, 5:43 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry ZX,
I wasn't trying to name it, I have seen several people refer to it as a speaker long after it has been identified as NOT one.(this subject has been around before)

Promotes confusion because some people just don't read all of the replies in a thread.

Quick Reply: Sound coming from speaker in head liner