Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Starter hangs up

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2007, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter hangs up

New Member First Post
07 LT3 Z71 2WD,
My starter has been hanging up since the day of delivery 1/25/07, on about every 7th start the starter will continue to turn the engine over wether it starts or not, sometime ending in a backfire and bad fuel mixture smell. It has been in three times, I brought it to a nearby dealer (not the selling dealership) they found a bulliten that said it was normal and called me to pick it up. The selling dealership then said bring it in 120 miles away kept it 2 weeks and changed the fuel pump sending unit combination in the fuel cell, said it was fixed, picked it up and it did the samething 4 starts later. They had it 2 days after the repair, when I picked it up they said they would keep the ticket open until we were sure that was the fix ?????. sounds like they knew it wasn't. Now its back in for the 3rd time and I haven't heard from them in 3 days. I have a case worker with G.M. and she has called the local Rep., although he has 24 to 48 hrs. to respond, so I am waiting on him. This about my 20th G.M. product since old enough to buy my first, I never had any problems that they could not fix in less than 2 days. Traded a 05 Avalance on this Tahoe. My Question has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the outcome?
What should I do next, any sound advice?
Old March 16th, 2007, 6:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Starter hangs up

First of all welcome, my name is Dave.

Below is a copy of the service bulletin addressing this issue, this may shed some light on the normal operating characterisitcs of the 2007 Tahoe starting system, if after reading this you feel that your Tahoe is doing something different I would have them reprogram your PCM:

Some customers may comment that the engine starter will continue to run after the key is released. For the 2003 through 2007 model years, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the starter relay based on input from the key switch. When the ignition switch is held in the start position for 0.4 seconds, the PCM start timer is activated. Once the start timer is activated, the PCM will continue to crank the starter until either the engine starts or a no start time limit is reached.

Occasionally, the fuel pump module will take one or two seconds to build fuel pressure. Often this will occur after the vehicle sits overnight. During some vehicle starts, the customer may release the ignition switch key before the engine actually starts. When this occurs, the engine will then continue to crank until the engine starts or the no start time limit is reached.

This is a normal condition and no repairs should be attempted for this condition.
Old March 16th, 2007, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Dave
The dealer has recognized it as something different, I was told the Malibu had something similar and they reprogramed the PCM, they have not mentioned doing that. Three weeks in the shop, they are in no hurry to try anything else as G.M. continues to pay a rental vehicle. My vin #1GNFC13007R329846 can I get a build date. As mentioned above, I am waiting on the area Rep. This situation occurs about 1 in 5 starts. It's aggravating and embarassing when someone is near or riding with you.
Will
Old March 17th, 2007, 3:52 PM
CF Addict

1GNFC13007R329846 was built 12/8/2006

3-weeks without your Tahoe for this minor problem is ridiculous, I'd be a thorn in the service managers side at least twice a day if it were me.
Old March 17th, 2007, 4:28 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

1GNFC13007R329846 was built 12/8/2006

3-weeks without your Tahoe for this minor problem is ridiculous, I'd be a thorn in the service managers side at least twice a day if it were me.
I agree, it is way too long. I would ask for it back and take it somewhere else.
Old March 17th, 2007, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Tried to bring it back to my local dealer and they refused said the bulliten that stated it was normal operations was good enough for them. I am punished because I did't buy there. Never could deal with them, they Like their inventory to much, can't stand to see it go. I use my Gm supplier discount to see the price and work from there, never pay that so called invoice B.S.
I Talked to my saleman today, as the service advisor won't call me. He said they were basically running test that G.M. are telling them, Then spoon feeding them results. No answers yet, week 4 coming up. I'm driving a Enterprise rental Trail Blazer, last was a Malibu Max, I did a complete interior detail myself as my wife and I felt like a shower after riding in it (Nasty). Who rents these things?It don't quite add up to what I am currently paying a note on. LOL Miss the Tahoe
Old March 17th, 2007, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

12/8/06 = FRIDAY
Old March 17th, 2007, 5:10 PM
CF Addict

I just took some time to re-read your original post and understand your exact problem.
It sounds to me as if you have a fuel system leak down problem.
One of the most common causes for this is a faulty fuel injector that is remaining open after engine shut-down.

This condition will depressurize the fuel system loading one cylinder up with fuel, then when you attempt to restart the engine later there is not enough fuel pressure in the fuel rail to reach the injectors within the start cycle (so you get a no-start) and the single cylinder with fuel is flooded and pushes most of excess fuel out through the exhaust, the backfire you hear is the residual fuel in that one cylinder firing which causes the raw fuel in the exhaust manifold to light-off as well.

Ask the dealer to perform a fuel system pressure leak-down test for a suspected faulty fuel injector or
(less likely) fuel pressure regulator, I bet my *** that is your problem.
Old March 18th, 2007, 3:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Ask the dealer to perform a fuel system pressure leak-down test for a suspected faulty fuel injector or (less likely) fuel pressure regulator, I bet my *** that is your problem.
I don't think you are allowed to mention body parts while Marie is watching.
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
CF Addict

Oh, you're right.
I was referring to a small donkey, an old expression from the gold rush days.

Quick Reply: Starter hangs up