Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Stereo Questions

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Questions

Hello all, new guy here. I purchased a 2001 Tahoe this last week. It doesn't have the Bose system. The speakers in the door say "Reference" so I'm thinking they might be Infinity Reference compenent speakers (Hope I'm right). The system sounds pretty decent overall, but that poor 8" woofer in the back only hits well on certain freq.

I'm considering a couple of 10"s under the second row seats. I don't have any trouble building boxes, but this one looks like it will require a lot of measuring, cutting, remeasuring, test fitting, remeasuring, and more cutting, to make it fit. Anybody happen to have the dimensions for a dual 10" box to go under the second row? Something like this: http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2308

Also, I'd like to keep the factory look, but I want an in-dash cd-changer. I know that the '03+ stereo had an ECU interface in order to reset oil change light, and to give service messages. Will the stereo off one of these vehicles work with my '01, sans ECU codes? Or does the ECU interface have to be available and programmed in order for the stereo to work its normal functions properly?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 3:37 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stereo Questions

The 2003 stereo on the Tahoe did not utilize the radio integrated information center like the W-platform cars.
However the class-II data-bus communication system in the 2001 vs. the 2003 is different and the radios cannot be interchanged.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

That box looks pretty good. If it were me, I woudn't waste my time or the frustration of building my own.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 5:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the answer ZX, that's what I was afraid of. I went out looking at my options for stereo system today, and I think I've decided on an aftermarket head unit, with a USB/SD interface. I don't have an Ipod, but I have a few Jump Drives, and SD cards with USB adapters. So I think this will be a better option than a CD changer in the long run. I can also just take the jump drive with me, and not have to worry about extra hardware/CDs getting jacked. I'm still planning on going with the 10"s, and I already have an amp. What's the deal with the factory 8". Is it self-powered, or does it have a seperate amp of its own? I'd like to go ahead and leave the 8" alone for now, and I'd like to keep it functional. I think that the "power/scv" control ring around the "Volume" **** (see picture below), controls the amp/sub, am I correct in this?

Also, if I remove the factory head unit, I'm assuming it will render the rear-seat stereo/controls useless as well. Am I right?

As far as just buying the box, I don't really want to spend $200+Shipping for a simple sealed box I can build myself. Plus I'm thinking of making the box out of fiberglass. If anybody happens to have the dimensions, I could build it in a few hours. If not, I guess I could use a good challenge...

(Sorry, I don't know how to post photos on this forum yet, "IMG" tags don't work on this forum apparently.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/DSCN1491.jpg
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some amazing aftermarket sereo features offered now for very reasonable prices.

Your speakers are all powered by an amplifier located behind the glove box.

The "SCV" ring around your Power/Volume **** is to set the Speed Compensated Volume feature and has nothing to do with the sub.

The rear seat audio controller will be rendered inop if you remove the stock head piece but there are interfaces available to remedy this.

Dave
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks again ZX, you're the man!