Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Striped caliper bolts.

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2010, 1:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Striped caliper bolts.

I stripped the bolts on my 02 burban trying to replace the front pads. Has anyone experienced this problem? What did you do to fix it? Thanks
Old January 2nd, 2010, 5:19 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you stripped the threads in the calipers I would replace them.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

find the thread size and but a tap to rethread the damage -- you may need new bolts also or rethread the bad one and put it in a "good"/different hole on a different corner
Old January 2nd, 2010, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

Default Stripped caliper bolts

Ouch that hurt! I agree with george, But would like to expand on that thought a little further, First never modify a caliper or its mounting fixture by drilling holes in them, Second I have seen this alot and this is what i have found to be the only safe solution, Chase the threads on the caliper and make sure the damage is not so extensive that you cant get full thread depth! If depth cannot be attained the new bolts will continuely become loose and overtighting will stretch the threads even further adding to an already unsafe condition I.E. It will progressivly get worse ! if this is the case replace the caliper , These bolts are case hardened so not just any bolt will do, i would definently head to the junkyard or dealership and replace the bolts and if need be the calipers. dab a little antisieze on the bolt threads, it will aid in future removal and torque to spec. I know it sounds like overkill but i have seen it happen to many times keep in mind that 80 percent of your stopping power comes from your front brakes and it is a fact that those same brake setups are under sized for the application in these years of trucks! everybody give thanks to GM for that little oversite good luck with it
HAMMERGONE!!

Last edited by tm4hammer; January 4th, 2010 at 3:48 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks guys. I'll replace the caliper and the bolts. I was gonna try to heat it, but I think I better not.
Old January 4th, 2010, 3:43 PM
CF Active Member

Default Huh!

Im not sure, But why would you have to heat the mounting fixture or the caliper for that matter ? A point to make and a word of caution here, When applying heat to steel it changes its properties, In that it loses its overall tinsel strength and transfers the hardness to the surface of the metal! So if this is something you need or choose to do watch the heat and be aware what is taking place if overheated and definently do not cold quench with water let it air cool .
HAMMERGONE!!
Old January 4th, 2010, 9:40 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the head of the bolt stripped and you can not remove them? or are the threads stripped and you can not reinstall them
Old April 29th, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Is the head of the bolt stripped and you can not remove them? or are the threads stripped and you can not reinstall them
I had a GM Torx T55 from O'Reily's and was only able to get one of the front caliper bolts out and replace pads on one side.. Now I am stuck with faulty pads on the other side because the torx head strips so easy. This is BS - I have never had this problem with other GM, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler/Dodge products. ... and to boot there is really no good advice on this in this forum. This is simply a poor product put out by GM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 8:14 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Helicoil

this is what the local shop did to my old car

Heli-Coil | HeliCoil Inserts | Helicoils Screw Thread Inserts | Helicoils | Emhart Teknologies

worked great!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 6:05 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I think the OP stripped the Torx head. Not sure how unless using the wrong size Torx. Like using an SAE size in a metric head or vice versa. Damn Carter anyway.

Quick Reply: Striped caliper bolts.