Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

stuck in the mud

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2008, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck in the mud

i have a 94 3/4 ton 4x4 that i bought to take my son to his atv races because i was tired of getting stuck in the mud, yesterday we went to a race and i still got stuck, i pull a small trailer big enough for 1 mini atv, total weight of both around 900lbs, but i beleive the problem to be the tires, they are just a stock tread radial that are a load range E and when i went to leave yesterday from the race i did not go but 10 ft. and was stuck, i would like some input on some tires that clean out easy because these looked like there was not any tread on them because they would not clean the mud off the tread, thanks
Old January 6th, 2008, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: stuck in the mud

I have always used the BF Goodrich radial all terrain since 86 these tires are great in wet grass, mud and snow and of cours dry pavement and there not noisy.
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM
CF Junior Member

BFG MT's. The Mud Terrain wil do much better than the AT (All Terrain...they call it the T/A now) in the gooey stuff. I have worn out a few AT's and they do ok, much better than stockers, but wil still leave you stuck in the deep mud.

There are a lot of good fairly agressive tires out there. If you want to go with a decent off-road capable tire that you can live with daily, the BFG's are a good place to start. If you only see the goo once in a while, look at the Goodyear Silent Armor tires. They cost about the same as the BFG MT's, but are designed for heavy trucks and towing (kevlar reinforced). They have a decently open tread design that should clean out well, yet are still a 70k mile tire.

I would really only go with an off-road tire if you go off road. Look for open tread blocks with deep sidewall lugs.

Also remember the old off road trick of sawing the steering wheel back and forth when fighting the goo. This gives your front wheels better grip and can get you out of places you would otherwise get stuck in. Carry a shovel at least too.

Old January 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
CF Junior Member

I re-read your post: if you go use the truck for things like that primarily, look into a set of Interco TrXus MT's. Affordable, gnarly in the goo, dirt, hardpack, sand, etc, and still streetable. Check out this link: for an assortment of tires http://www.4wd.com/categories.aspx?cid=25 , for the TrXus MT's: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...7&partID=14370

I run the TruXus STS (all terrains) on my CJ7 and love them, tho they do not wear well on heavy trucks.
Old January 8th, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a k2500 4x4 as well, with locking rear differential, I have never been stuck with my sub. Stay high if you can, Stay on the gas steady, drop it into 4 low if you have to. A big problem might be a low trailer getting bottomed out due to the flat bottom of the trailer, increasing your drag. If the trailer hitch isn't the same height as the trailer, the trailer will have a low back end as well.
My sub is stock with BF Goodrich tires designed for the 1996 sub and I go hunting with it all the time. Is this your first 4x4 sub?
Old January 11th, 2008, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

yeah this is the first 4x4 burban, i had a nother one but it was 2 wheel drive and it had a 454, i think thus far that the fuel mileage is alot better with the 5.7(350) than with the big block, the 1 i have now is about as plain jane as you can get, it is a cheyenne not a silverado, but with hunting and raccing it is perfect, but maybe this summer without A/C i might change my mind, i would like to get some bf goodrich m/t or something similar , but these tires that are on here now are like new condition, and i know i wont be able to trade at all to get even 20 bucks a piece out of them, i have been looking at factory new take offs, but i really dont need another set of wheels unless i can find the right deal, and the tread design on the take offs , are not to my liking