Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Has bad Clank and Jolts

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Has bad Clank and Jolts

Ok guys i have replaced my transmission and transfer case which fixed a couple of my problems. Now about every 10-20 feet the suburban makes a loud clank and then jolts pretty hard. My question is, could this be a ujoint that does that? Or does anybody else have any suggestions? Thanks Alot Guys
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Differential ratios the same? Tires all the same?
Old January 26th, 2010, 8:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your u-joints were OK before the tranny and tcase swap did you do anything that could have damaged them? If you jack up the rear end and turn the tires by hand does anything bind? What problems were you having that led you to replace the tranny and tcase?
Old January 26th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Transmission didnt really need to be replace but my transfer case was messed up internally, before i replace transfer case i couldnt get reverse and when i replace the t case ive got reverse now. Im gonna go jack it up now and see if I can find out what is binding. THanks
Old January 26th, 2010, 9:36 PM
CF Active Member

If it's the u-joints then you should hear a clank/knock coming from the driveshaft (either front or rear) and you should be able to feel a vibration from driving. You can check the u-joints by twisting the driveshafts and feeling if it's loose or knocks/clanks. Put your handbrake on and put the truck in neutral and twist the driveshaft right to left and back again. The u-joints should feel solid, if not, then they're probably bad. This doesn't sound like u-joints though. I've never heard of anything like this happening. Dangerous, but have you tried lifting the truck and trying to see if you can isolate the problem. How many miles on the truck? You sure you got the right transfercase?
Old May 25th, 2012, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

My tahoe just did this last night, it's sitting in my garage now. I drained the rear diff. fluid and it had metal dust in it. About every 10-15 feet it clanks real hard and jolts 3 times in a row... I need help as to what to do. Have to get it fixed cheap, struggling student haha. Thanks
Old May 31st, 2012, 4:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles P
My tahoe just did this last night, it's sitting in my garage now. I drained the rear diff. fluid and it had metal dust in it. About every 10-15 feet it clanks real hard and jolts 3 times in a row... I need help as to what to do. Have to get it fixed cheap, struggling student haha. Thanks
My suggestion, pop off the back diff plate ASAP. You might find the planet gears are (if not already) going out.