Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Oil Pan Leak

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2018, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Oil Pan Leak

I have a 2007 Suburban 1500 with 178000 miles. I had the oil pan gasket replaced about 3 weeks ago and noticed oil leaking again on my driveway. When the gasket was replaced, the flywheel and areas near the main seal were dry and free of any oil. I took it back to the indy yesterday and they say the main seal is leaking. i don't buy this. the main seal doesn't fail in 3 weeks and less than 500 miles. i believe the oil pan gasket may be improperly installed. the leaking is now at the very rear of the oil pan where it meets the other gasket. is it possible that the gasket and oil pan are misaligned at the rear of the pan?
Old January 5th, 2018, 9:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What I read is the (at least rear) main seal wasn't replaced, if that's the case, not good.
Old January 6th, 2018, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
What I read is the (at least rear) main seal wasn't replaced, if that's the case, not good.
The main seal was not leaking. It didn't need to be replaced.
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

hard to say without seeing it. pretty hard to misalign it with the trans inplace. you do have to rtv the corners. the gasket is a aluminum framed gasket not a floppy cork gasket