Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Switched to ford after 5 suburbans over 17 years

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2013, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to ford after 5 suburbans over 17 years

I've been driving suburbans since '86, I've had 5 and I just switched 2 weeks ago. I thought I'd share my impressions, I've got thick skin so bring on your responses.

Initial reasons for considering: reputation, view from inside, GMs debt, volt etc.

I bought a 2013 EL limited 4x4, sold my 2007 Z71 with 98k miles.

When I went to look at suburbans, my impression was "this hasn't changed one bit" I asked the salesman about Bluetooth beyond simple phone connectivity and he looked at me like a had a third eye. Eventually he admitted that Chevy is "a little behind on the times"

The Ford was very similarly priced and while ordering and taking delivery my expectations were that I'd be receiving a vastly better vehicle. After a couple weeks, I'm realizing that they are pretty similar. I was surprised how loud the expy is on the hwy- I guess I should be, it is a box. And it seems a little top heavy on hwy, but maybe this is brand new tires?

Here is my pro con list on expy versus suburban.

Pros:
Much better in town ride. More solid, cornering and suspension.

Second row seat functionality and versatility.

Third row seats much more convenient.

Much easier to see out, passing and backing. I guess the c and d pillars are narrower.

Rear hatch window easier to reach over and larger.

Sync, connectivity, navigation vastly superior.

Hwy pickup better, maybe because my suburban is old.

Seats slightly more comfortable.

Cons:

Ugly, looks top heavy. Personal preference.

Stereo sucks compared to stock suburban. Sounds muffled, no mid.

Loud on hwy.

Armrests (console) hard and uncomfortable. Interior plastic very angular and dated.

Console very small, rear compartment storage (small spaces) limited. Where to put tool kit, cables, Umbrella if they won't fit in in-floor storage.

Gauges hard to read and ugly with the white and chrome- poor effort.

Ac controls and the 7 segment LED need a revamp, gm better.

Gear shift takes up console space.

I know some of these cons are coming from a long time suburban owner who is having trouble getting adjusting.

I'm leasing for 2 years so I may switch back, let me know your thoughts.
Old August 17th, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

From your own pros and cons, it appears that the Suburban is a better choice.
Old August 17th, 2013, 9:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh, idk. The XLT Expedition EL has a Much better around town ride than my LTZ with Auto Ride and it has new rear shocks... Also, because its a 5.4L SOHC, they have gobs of toque at 1700 rpm which is great for towing and highway, however, this is also very bad, because any where outside the 1600~1800 rpm range the motor is pathetic. Until you reach the very small HP band much higher up in the rpm range.

But yes, many pros and cons to all of these. How ever, I can't diss my 2002 one bit. That thing was amazing. It should've had a Caddy Platinum bade on it. Ohhhhh what an awesome suv, most quiet, most comfortable, smoothest, best sounding burb I have ever had or seen/been in. The only thing I could ask for, was the 6.0L or maybe even the 8.1L, but that really would've sucked mileage...
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CF Junior Member

I had a bit of a time gap between my Suburban and Tahoe - '97 Suburban diesel, now 2010 Tahoe LTZ. So, not much comparison between them.

I really like my LTZ so far. I know some say the design is dated, or tech is lagging, but for me it's very well put together, love the features, excellent package. To me the Expedition is what looks dated, just not a pleasing design in my eyes. Nothing about it looks sharp, I can't see an EX owner walking out the front door and saying "wow, nice ride I have there".
Old August 19th, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Junior Member

I have to agree with Dave, the Expedition style has not changed much since 2003, the Suburban goes back to 2007 YM but released in 2006. The Burb has a timeless elegance. the Ex is rough and tough looking. I could see a Burb LTZ pulling up to a red carpet event, the Ex would look out of place. This is only going on Looks alone. I can easily fix a bad ride or poor running motor but fixing ugly is hard, even though I loved my first car and I fixed it up to better than new but a 1975 V8 mustang II is still an ugly car. I am not comparing the Ex to a 1975 mustang just that it takes alot to make them nice looking. My 75 back in 1989, 25th anniversary Mustang show.

Name:  20121217132958295_Page_3_zpsc30e99be.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  73.9 KB
Old August 19th, 2013, 2:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AH! MY EYES! how did ford let the mustang get so ugly! I love the look of my families 66 Mustang 289 V8 Convertible.
Old August 20th, 2013, 1:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
AH! MY EYES! how did ford let the mustang get so ugly! I love the look of my families 66 Mustang 289 V8 Convertible.
The 66 is one of the best looking. Back in 1989 my family owned 2-1966, my 1975, 2-1982 GTs (one with auto tranny very rare), a 1983 GT, a 1987 LX, a 1988 GT, a 1982 Capri RS, and a 1986 Capri RS. The 1982 Capri is back in the family after 14 years away.
Old August 20th, 2013, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

GM would do well to get the Cue system rolled out to all the lines (see Cadillac Cue system) I think it will even rival the Ford Sync system...but alas they will probably dick around and put some watered down lack laster version in the Chevy
Cadillac | Cadillac User Experience Overview
Old June 18th, 2014, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

dumped the 2013 expy with 12k miles. got the 2015 suburban ltz. Vastly more comfortable. Vastly better user interface, quiet ride, ride on highway.
Old June 18th, 2014, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
I have to agree with Dave, the Expedition style has not changed much since 2003, the Suburban goes back to 2007 YM but released in 2006. The Burb has a timeless elegance. the Ex is rough and tough looking. I could see a Burb LTZ pulling up to a red carpet event, the Ex would look out of place. This is only going on Looks alone. I can easily fix a bad ride or poor running motor but fixing ugly is hard, even though I loved my first car and I fixed it up to better than new but a 1975 V8 mustang II is still an ugly car. I am not comparing the Ex to a 1975 mustang just that it takes alot to make them nice looking. My 75 back in 1989, 25th anniversary Mustang show.

It looks like a tiny Ford Torino.