Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe "design flaw" per dealer

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2007, 4:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe "design flaw" per dealer

I have a '07 Tahoe w/7000 miles. The driver side door pops (sounds like metal on metal) whenever I drive over any sort of bump. Very loud and very annoying. I have taken it to the dealer twice; first time they replaced a bracket and added some padding into the door. Still pops. Second time taken in the service writer advised that they could not fix the problem because it was a "design flaw" and I would have to wait for Chevrolet to devise some sort of "fix" or replacement bracket to solve problem.

\sarcasm on\ Since this is a "design flaw" to this door bracket, that would mean that EVERY SINGLE TAHOE (and YUKON,SUBURBAN, ESCALADE-if the exact same door parts are used) have this flaw.

HOW ARE ALL OF YOU DEALING WITH THIS LOAD METAL POPPING IN YOUR DRIVER DOOR? (BTW the passenger side is completely silent).

ALSO - I'm new and I like this site. TIA
Old October 14th, 2007, 7:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tahoe "design flaw" per dealer

I have an 07 Hoe with 9200 miles (manuf. date was 3/06) and there is no noise whatsoever.

Are you absolutely certain that the noise is from the door and not from teh 3rd row seats. Don't discount this as a possible cause. Try removing the 3rd row and see if the noise is still there.
Old October 14th, 2007, 8:08 AM
CF Senior Member

Wahat noise?
Old October 14th, 2007, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

It's definitely coming from right next to the driver side (could even be in the pillar). I guess I'll take it back again tomorrow and see if they can check it out again. It's more frustrating when I think they are not being honest with you. Thanks for the responses.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM
H07
CF Junior Member

Only noise I get is a slight rattle up on the left side of the headliner other than everything else is relatively quiet.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

yes i have the same rattle on the headliner drivers side. i think it is a braket tha must of come loose. therer is a lot more rattles tha just the one in the headliner. oooohh, i forgot tha i also have two premier tsw 3000 subs that can cause a little bit of rattle too. hahahaha. but seriously there is a rattle from day one on the headliner.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

My driver side door does the same thing but it takes a good size bump to do it. It sounds as if the door is not shut all the way. I have never spoken to my dealer about this.
Old October 14th, 2007, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forum. I vaguely remember some time ago someone had a similar problem and it had something to do with the seatbelt retractor in the B pillar.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No noise here. I would investigate further.
Old October 15th, 2007, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Spoke at leangth with service dept this morning. The complete explanation is the rear seat grab handle (attached to the pillar) has a bracket that attaches it to the pillar itself. Apparently vibration can loosen this bracket, and it will rattle/pop over bumps, etc. The bracket has a design flaw because it cannot be tightened enough to remain snug and will keep loosening. They have filed a TAM issue request for a fix (either a re-designed bracket or a new interior trim piece to delete the handle). That's all they can do. I will be there again anyway tomorrow due to a squack in the rear (have had the control arms/bushings replaced once already). Thanks for all your replys!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tahoe "design flaw" per dealer