Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe Buying Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe Buying Advice Needed

We got son a 95 Tahoe w/ 98,000 miles as his first car last year. He will get his license in August so that means Mom has had a chance to drive it a little and I LIKE IT!
SO---I am looking at some newer used Tahoes. I can't-- nor want to afford a new one and really don't care for the looks of the new style. I am thinking an 04 or 05. I have my eye on 2 05's I saw while "shopping online". One is an LT with 37,000 miles on it. Was privately owned and has a Carfax record of having more than $500 damage to it at some point. The dealer who is selling it says the only record of repair they have was to replace BOTH side mirrors. I am assuming the owners went someplace they shouldn't of and damaged the mirrors. I am also assuming that this repair would cost easily more than $500 hence the Carfax. Dealer says it has no damage to the frame etc. They wan't $22800 but I am thinking they would go down more due to the gas prices.[]
The other 05 I am wanting to look at is an LS with cloth interior and 66000 miles on it. It is listed as a corporate vehicle and the dealer selling this one has another one in White from the same business that "downsized". They are asking $16,975.
Both of the vehicles I want to see have Onstar on them which is something I really want.
My questions are: For those of you who have this year Tahoe, at what point did you have problems? If you could buy one of these cars, which one? Is there anything I should know about this model year? I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country minivan right now and it is loaded. But it also has A LOT of problem areas such as the AC--I am on 3rd condenser and 4th compressor right now and summer is approaching![]Along with a Technical Service Bulletin list a mile long on that year T&C. It has all the bells and whistles but the Daimler Chrysler bells and whistles seem to break--A LOT![:-]
So--the lower mileage, all the bells and whistles private owned or the higher mileage basic corporate owned? Or???
Any advice would be appreciated-I want to avoid buying another lemon!
Old April 26th, 2008, 9:16 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Tahoe Buying Advice Needed

Of the 3 Tahoe's/Suburbans I have experiance with a 97' 01 and an 03 the only issues I had with them was Fuel pumps, the 01 Suburban went thru 2. There easy enought to replace but costly.On the 97 witch is not near the same as the 01-06's I had to replace the fuel injectors, popets and regulator at about 110K not bad not diffcult but a little time consuming.
Othere then searching thru this forum to see what other issues people have had that is about the only major one I know of is fuel pumps.
Old April 26th, 2008, 1:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Private owner would be my choice
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Do you have a CarMax near you? My wife bought an '04 at one with 25K on it and has about 36K now and so far, no problems.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I have heard good things about CarMax as far as the quality of thee vehicles, they don't buy crap or sell it but they also don't bargin much either or so I have heard.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Do you have a CarMax near you? My wife bought an '04 at one with 25K on it and has about 36K now and so far, no problems.
I forgot about them. They do have nice vehicles and the price on the window is the price you pay.
Old April 27th, 2008, 9:31 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

They also have a buy-back period (about one week), no questions asked. And if your local store doesn't have what you want, you can check on-line and they'll bring one in for a small fee which depends on how far they have to bring it. They seem to have a good business plan.