Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe Police Pursuit for Towing?

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe Police Pursuit for Towing?

I have a 2013 Police Pursuit Package (PPV) Tahoe with a 3.08 ratio. I plan on pulling a 4700 lbs RV. Chevrolet says that it is not rated for towing, but I know that's not true. I tow a 4000 lbs boat on my PD's vehicle, but its only about 10 miles each way and its 2-3 times a year for boat patrol on holidays. Plus, if the vehicle gets torn up I don't have to pay out of pocket to fix it. I plan on towing my RV half way across country once a year to visit family and at least 200 miles once a month.

Once I load it up it will be at least 5500 lbs which is the max towing capacity for an LS that my vehicle compares to. I'm uncomfortable towing extended hauls at my vehicle's max towing capacity. I know If I have the additional auxiliary cooling system (K5L) I can tow much more and if I combine that with a 3.42 ratio with the cooler I can get 8500 lbs.

The PPV has an auxiliary cooling system, but I don't know if its the same as the K5L towing package for cooling that has the transmission cooler. Does anyone know? Also, most of what I have learned has been comparing the PPV to the LS. Does anyone know how much I can actually tow with my current set-up on my PPV? Finally, should I invest on changing the ratio to 3.42 and how much would that cost me?

Thank you
Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they say it's not rated for towing, they mean it. But, you're right, any vehicle can be set up to tow. I presume it didn't have a hitch, and you're going to put on an aftermarket.

Like you've pointed out, "rated" abilities to tow include engine/transmission cooling, shift points and gear ratios, which you can install at your convenience. I'd say that a 3.42 or even 3.73 ratio would be more common, given the (GTW) weights you've stated. Stiffer Shocks (possibly with helper springs) and a good set of Tires (load rated) are other things that are taken into consideration as well. Hard to give you a $$ for any of this work. I'd do checks with Dealer and Independent shops, if you didn't want to DIY it.

Most dealerships are going to give you a pat number of 7000 lbs for the GTW on most of our Hoes and Burbs, when you don't have direct documentation on your tow weight. DPS usually goes along with this. I say this to emphasize that your credentials and silver tongue may not have much effect on a new on the job/upwardly mobile DPS Weight Officer should you be stopped.

Good luck on your projects.

Last edited by SWHouston; March 22nd, 2014 at 4:06 PM.