Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe Smacked in the Azz - No damage to ME.

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tahoe Smacked in the Azz - No damage to ME.

I was driving home yesterday, and a grey car in front of me was driving 20 in a 45 for a while... I figured lost / drunk / cell phone, whatever. I went to pass as they were going very slow and partially off the road. The grey car accelerated. Great, I thought, I'm dealing with a *****... whatever, I'm 2 miles from my destination and in a good mood... he slows down again. 15 in a 45.... I maneuver to pass. He tries to block me, however I manage pass. He's now riding my ***. Terrific. I'm doing 45 in a 45 in the rain, with temps in the high 30s (possible ice).

I drive past my destination as to prevent this person from following me. I make the next right, then the next, to make a loop. He's still following me. I'm doing 35 in a 35. 4 miles later I've had enough, and maneuver to pull over and see if he will just pass me.

No luck. he slams in to the back of my Tahoe hard. I wish to explain I did not 'jam' the brakes, I did not wait for an opportune moment. He was tailgating me for 4+ miles, intentionally turned down a road for the sole purpose of stalking and or harassing me.

I, personally invest in brakes. I have the best pads and tires money can buy that fit the Tahoe. I checked all the ratings / reviews, and know my vehicle can stop. $500 in brakes is cheaper than $500 deductible. They also help while towing.

Anyway, he hits me hard. Jumps out of his car, his arms menacingly in the air. I punch it. I drive approx 1 mile down the road, turn off the street and call 911. I was not willing to be within physical distance of this man without the police.

Police arrive, dispatch calls me, I return to the scene.

Toyota has to be roll backed from the road, parts all over the road, my spare is now on his hood. Tow truck driver throws my spare to the side of the road (as I asked, via the officer, I was not getting out of my tank like truck, even with the police man there).

The officer agreed he was following too closely, and saw the turn off I was trying to use, I had to stop faster than normal as it appeared to be a normal turn off, then I saw the limited turning areas, surrounded by a ditch.

From the info sheets, he lived in the complete opposite direction. The road we turned onto has another way to access that is more efficient. This proves he was on that road with the explicit intent to follow me.

I swear I'm a $hit magnet.

I give the Tahoe a lot of grief for it's bean counter inspired and built to a cost interior. But I LOVE the safety in this thing. The car was totaled and towed from the scene. I put another 200 miles on mine the same day.... minus the spare tire.

Damage appears to be
1. new rear bumper
2. new hitch cover (old one was stuck to Toyota)
3. dislodged spare tire, possible damage to that holder.
4. that's it. (step pad on bumper).

that's. IT.
this thing is a tank, the frame, suspension, axles, etc, are just tank size and I LOVE it.

I'm not a fan of the rattles / squeaks on the inside, because GM did a crap job on that, but whoever built the frame on this thing. I'd shake their hand.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; January 27th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 2:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow good to hear all is ok...I agree this thing is built like a tank. we got rear ended about a year ago and I had to get the bumper painted thats it. the girls car was not drivable.

could you tell if the guy was drunk or anything? what a dumba$$
Old January 27th, 2012, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Sounds like a good excuse to get that Expedition.
Old January 28th, 2012, 7:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and this is the reason I keep my ball and hitch in the receiver at all times.
Old January 28th, 2012, 8:34 PM
Administrator

Yeah but I hate it when the chrome on the ball gets scratched.
Old January 29th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. glad to hear your ok. did you ever find out what the guys deal was? did the cops not look into why he was tailing you like that and all? sounds like the guy could've caught a criminal case too...

:chug:
Old January 29th, 2012, 4:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Yeah but I hate it when the chrome on the ball gets scratched.
Split a tennis ball and stick it on top
Old January 29th, 2012, 6:04 PM
Administrator

That's just so tacky.
Old January 29th, 2012, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
That's just so tacky.
i have a plastic fish on the one on my F250...That's tacky. the tennis ball is a step up from that. LOL
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Administrator

And a outboard motor propeller.

Quick Reply: Tahoe Smacked in the Azz - No damage to ME.