Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

TAHOE SURGING

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAHOE SURGING

Only had my 96 Tahoe for a week.
Last Saturday I was at a Stoplight with my foot on the Brake when I felt a "surge", almost like I was powwer braking it.
Though nothing about it, (maybe I hit the gas by mistake).
Coming up my local Mountain yesterday, I was stopped on an incline for roadwork, when the worker flagged me on, I pressed on the gas and the Tahoe started "surging", and it wouldn't go over 10-15 MPH.
So I went about 200' and pulled over. No dash lights went on and the gauges read fine.No leaks from underneath th hood or truck.It idled very smoothly with no missing/hesitation.
I have a 1 month/1000 Mile warranty and when I caled the dealer, he said it "soubnded" like the Fuel Pump and that Chevys are Notorious for it.
Now since I live up the mountain from the dealership,he said take it to my local mechanic and that it's covered.
Just wondering if anyone esle had a similar problem and what it turned out to be in your case?

Roger
Old January 26th, 2007, 3:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: TAHOE SURGING

Roger, The fuel pumps are know to go in these units. If you can get it covered under warranty "DO IT" because they cost between $500-$900 to have replaced !!! Also change your fuel filter, it is on the inside of the frame under the drivers door.
Good Luck, Dondobe
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM
CF Active Member

Well here's an update.

I had my Tahoe towed to my mechanic.
He said the Computer didn't throw any codes and the Truck ran flawlessly.[]
He said that the Fuel pump was making a "slight" noise.
I basically told him that I wasn't going to drive the Tahoe around "waiting for it to happen again" and to replace the Fuel Pump and Filter.
He said, "I may drop the tank and find a Brand new pump or an old piece of **** pump,
it's just one of those things".
I've had this mechanic for 4 years and trust is NOT an issue with him.[8D]
I'm thinking it's a good idea to have this changed while under Warranty, but thought I'd throw this "update" out there to get some more feedback.

I LOVE my Tahoe and want to see it thrive!

Roger
[/align]
Old January 30th, 2007, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

UPDATE #2

Your gonna LOVE this, (I know I did)!

So I go to pick up my Tahoe this morning from my mechanic to take home.
He had tried to replicate the problem I had, but wasn't able to, so I was gonna take it home and just drive the **** out of it!
Now mind you I have a 1 Month/1000 Mile Warranty, that covers Engine/Transmission and a few other things.
I'm 10 miles from my mechanic, doing 65 mph on a 2 lane Highway, when I notice that I'm slowly loosing speed.[]
I turn down the Radio, to hear the engine revving with my pressing the Pedal but no increase in speed.[:-]
I pull over to the side of the road and put it in Park and the engine is idling fine.
I put it in Drive, 3, 2 and 1, hit the gas and NOTHING!

NO FORWARD MOVEMENT AT ALL![]I put it in reverse and it goes backwards.
So I shut off the engine and call for a Tow.
About 20 minutes later, I start up the Tahoe and put it in Drive, 3, 2, and 1 and it moves forward,
(But I wasn't about to drive it and further damage anything).[&o]

So I call the Dealership and he says to have it towed to their Transmission shop they use.
I explain the symptoms over the phone and the Tranny guy says it didn't sound good.
He said something about a "Forward Clutch Pack" or something like that.

Sounds Expensive, but I'm glad it did it while my Tahoe was still under Warranty!!!

Roger
[/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6179/4EB69E7F1608439D9B225021BE07622C.jpg[/IMG]