Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe Transmission... to replace or replace?

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2016, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe Transmission... to replace or replace?

Hey guys. I'm new to this form. I came for some opinions about what to do.

I have a 2009 Tahoe 5.3L flex fuel 4x4 with 6L80 trans
it has 135k on the power train.

Recently the trans went out. After rebuilding the TECM and valve body meself, the truck runs and drives again. But like garbage. Low pressure, soft shifts, just not normal behavior for the trans.

AAMCO said rebuild or replace $4000 for rebuild $3600 for replace.

Chevy said replace $3400 (3 year/100000 mile warrante)

Local Guy said rebuild $3800

Obviosuly Chevy is the way to go since they offer the best product for cheaper then the other guys.

Now, the question of opinion here in lies, is it worth replacing the transmission on the Tahoe with 135K on it? I can imagine other components will start to break down sooner then later...
or should I just trade it in and pick up a new vehicle?

I owe $10k left on the loan and it's hard to drop $3400 or so for a new trans, if the truck is going to end up falling apart in the near future anyway.

I guess this is a question of logic. What is the reliability of the 5.3L and rest of the powertrain? What's y'all opinion on the matter?

Thanks
Old December 14th, 2016, 3:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like a tough decision. This all really comes down to what you are willing to risk. There is no guarantee that your truck will stay in shape after you get a new trans and there's also no guarantee that it won't. You may want to just hold off on the new trans and see how far the old one takes you. Then, if it finally gives out completely, decide whether it's worth replacing or not. Chevys are great cars and last forever but if Im being honest 135k miles is alot of miles for a 2009.

Hope this helped!
- Spencer

Last edited by Spencer D.; December 14th, 2016 at 3:04 PM.
Old December 15th, 2016, 3:00 AM
CF Beginner

I would ride the hell out of the transmission you got now and see what happens. Sensibly of course. I replaced on recommendation a radiator in my s10 only to have the engine crap out on me a few months later after coming down a mountian pass. 400 bucks down the drain. My sister had a durango replaced the transmission at around 100k miles (dodge owners be like...i live my life one transmission at a time) and had no additional problems until she sold it at about 150k. With old trucks anything is possible and theres really no way to predict what may or may not need fixing days weeks or months from today...

For what its worth ive got an 02 trailblazer ext 4x4 everything under the hood is original and i have zero problems. ~118k miles...
Old December 15th, 2016, 8:24 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

IF the vehicle is for the most part well maintained, I would replace the transmission and get a few more years out of it. If you try to sell it or trade it, the poor performing transmission is going to come out of that price anyway.
If you are up for it , you could consider buying a reman and doing the install yourself for considerably less...
Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Transmission... to replace or replace?-capture.jpg