Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe Vs Escalade

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2008, 4:48 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tahoe Vs Escalade

Well, I thought I figured it all out, I wanted a Tahoe to replace my Tahoe... an 09 because of the 6 spd, blue tooth, and blind spot alert gizmo...

THEN... I thought, well, what's the KBB on the Escalade... (I always buy used)...

In any case, a used Escalade (1 yr old) is almost the same price as a used (1 yr old) Tahoe...

Since I buy used, I can't really 'customize' options, but I NEED the Sat Nav, so I search for LTZ Tahoes as most of them have it...

But the Escalade has that, no matter what (08+) (maybe 09)

I like the looks of the front of the Tahoe more (grill, headlights)

But I like the chrome (is it plastic that looks like chrome?) under the side windows on the Caddy...
The Caddy also sports a 8" GPS VS 6.5" and a 6.2L vs 5.3L (although both tow the same) (I tow a 6,500 lb boat, and 7,000 lb trailer) (but not at the same time )

So anyway, I've scoured the internet for photo differences, seat differences, etc...

any wondered what you guys thought...

I seriously like the Tahoe front more, but the 8" GPS is nice... is it the exact same just bigger?

I like the lack of options in the Escalade, finding one used, with the options I want is easier than finding a Tahoe

Let's not get into the 'image' thing... I don't care what other people think of who chooses to buy these things, I just want the facts.

I drove a 1987 station wagon for 6 years, I don't care whatI'm in... (1999-2005)

am I missing other differences? Ohh yea, used, the Caddy has a 4 year 48,000 mile warrenty vs 3 year 36,000 mile!

and, the insurance is $30 more a month for the caddy.. 400 HP Zoom Zoom Zoom! lol and the new 6.2L has fuel management, right?
Old October 31st, 2008, 4:52 PM
CF Addict

Default RE: Tahoe Vs Escalade

I forgot; the Tahoe has 4 wheel low... but I use my Jeep off road... so that doesn't really bother me...
Old November 2nd, 2008, 5:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like on everything but the insurance the Escalade is the better choice! You can aftermarket things for the Bluetooth, maybe even the blind spot thing. If you want to know anything about the Esky's ask away. I might not know too many advanced or specific things because I'm not in my mom's too much but she brought it home Friday so it's here.

But the bigger Nav screen is amazing! The interface is a bit nicer as well, I don't like my Tahoe's blue-and-orange look. The Tahoe also gives me crazy, odd and mostly wrong directions whereas my mom's Caddy has gotten us where we wanted to go, the right way, every time.

With any Tahoe, you don't get standard HID's [although yes, the headlight shape is much better!]. The Escalade's lights are neat and you might even be able to swap them for the LED lights in the Platinum editions if you wanted.

The leather feels better in Denalis and Escalades, another thing to note. Also the door panels [including armrests] are made of leather, but the Tahoe's are just plastic. Better wood, more aluminum trim in the Escalade.

All in all, if you can afford it, then go for the Escalade. It's got everything the Tahoe has [and more], but upgraded, better warranty, etc. Plus, when you're inside it you can't even see the front end, haha.
Old November 5th, 2008, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Tahoe gives you switchable 2/4 wd S'clade is AWD
Old November 7th, 2008, 6:08 PM
CF Addict

Yes I am aware of the lack of 4 low, but I use my Jeep off road... so I don't think its a huge deal for me... the constant AWD im sure helps the handling, but sometimes 2 WD slides are fun...
Old November 12th, 2008, 7:12 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The Tahoe also has a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge.
Old November 12th, 2008, 8:44 PM
CF Addict

True, but shouldn't the DIC have that? lol, DIC... sounds close to Dick... anyway, yea, if there is over or under on either there should be some warning.. I like more guages too, but not a huge deal... the Hybrid Escalade looks like it has 2WD and 4WD, but the regular one is AWD all the time.... I guess that means no 2WD power slides in 6" of snow next winter...

I like how the Excursion has a tranny temp guage for towing... my buddy even added a rear diff temp guage as well to his
Old November 12th, 2008, 9:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Unfortunately not, but the speedometer/gauges look a lot better in the Escalade. The Hybrid Escalade will be a lot more $ than the AWD one. That makes me wonder if there will be a Platinum Escalade ESV Hybrid someday lol. Probably worth $100k.
And haha, Excursions are like buses, which probably have gauges for everything. My dad bought a black one for my mom once [Excursion, not a bus ], she hated it. I don't remember it though I guess it was too many years back.
Old November 19th, 2008, 8:56 PM
CF Addict

yea the Excursion isn't really a quality vehicle, its no where near a suburban... but it does tow more and seat larger and more cargo... it is a freaking bus, but if you don't mind 8MPG and stopping like a bus, and need to pull 14,000 lbs, it might be the car for you... untill all the hippies stopped it from being made any more... the solid axles ride like crap, but it would be easy to lift it, and toss on some 44" tires