Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
View Poll Results: A poll
Never even Considered an Expedition
77.36%
Considered an Expedition but purchased a Tahoe / Suburban
20.75%
Considered an Expedition and purchased it
1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Tahoe vs. Expedition

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 8:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tahoe vs. Expedition

I had a little spare time so I dropped in the local ford dealer this past weekend to check out how the "updated" interior of the Expedition stacks up compared to our Tahoe's. I am not a Ford basher, but damn the Expedition is not even close or in the same category anymore. Here is what I found:

1. Interior materials look and feel cheap in my opinion
2. Interior guage layout is improved, but still lagging behind the Tahoe
3. Seats have less support than the Tahoe.
4. Doors feel flimsy compared to Tahoe.
5. I now understand why a comparibly equipped Tahoe cost a few Thousand more $$$

The only thing that the Expedition has over the Tahoe is 3rd row fold flat seats and the tranny shifter in the middle console.

How many of you even considered or test drove an Expedition before purchasing your Tahoe/Suburban?
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tahoe vs. Expedition

IMO...The Expeditions are too long and too boxy. They need to redesign the looks of these bad boys and then maybe they'll be worthy of a comparison to a Tahoe/Suburban.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

I did, since my brother's neighbor is the Fleet Manager at the local Ford stealership. Yes, the interior materials looked nice, but felt cheaper...I did like the fold flat seats (but hate the independent rear suspension), but even with the 6 speed auto, it felt real sluggish. Of course, the one I drove had some issues - every time I stopped at a light, it would stumble and die, with the service engine soon light blinking (not making this up!) - it had 7 miles on it! Also didn't like the "fake" chrome wheels (they use plastic "chrome" covers over a base wheel...cheesy. I thought the truck was nice, but not as nice as the Tahoe by any means...pricing was impressive for the options it had. But, in the end, it's a step down from the Tahoe, IMO...
Old May 14th, 2007, 5:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, hope this helps....

I have one of each, '07 Tahoe and '03 Expedition...

Hands down the '07 Tahoe is a farsuperior product both in design and performance (and looks as well, personal opinion)

Food for thought...

Drove the Tahoe through a blizzard Noreaster this Winter from Southern Connecticut to Central Vermont. Foot of snow on the highway where plows haven't even ventured out, more further north. Ice,snow,sleet on highway in CT and southern Mass. Middle of the night, winds >30mph and visibility averaged less than 1/2 mile to near whiteout at times. Long story short, that Tahoe plowed, and I mean plowed through that snow and ice, especially the deeper stuff at 40+ mph like it was railroad tracks. Passed by a few other SUVs and p/u trucks. That night I got every pennyt worth out of that vehicle I paid for it.... The Expedition would never had perfrmed that way.

Hope this helps with your decision, my opinion owning both-no brainer. GM finally came through this year for the first time in a long time (with exception of the Silverado HD series)

Happy Hunting

Chris
Old May 15th, 2007, 1:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: burnsze15
Hope this helps with your decision,
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I already purchased my Tahoe last year without test driving or checking out the Expedition. I stopped by the Ford dealer this weekend only because I wanted to see the "updated interior" on the 07 Expedition. I got to thinking how many here checked the Expeditions out before making their decision because it would be most likely the Tahoe's main competition. The Expedition is not a bad truck, just does not seem to be in the same class anymore as the Tahoe.
Old May 15th, 2007, 2:04 PM
SNO
CF Beginner

Have owned two Expeditions and now have a '07 Suburban.

We carefully compared the Expy EL to the Sub and have to say that the cheap plastics and shoddy workmanship are about the same on each. So it basically came down to style & pricing. If it weren't for special GM pricing and an ugly Ford grille, we'd probably have an Expedition EL just because it's somewhat more "family friendly" than the Suburban.

I really wish I could pick features from both SUVs and build a single good one!
Old May 15th, 2007, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Had an expedition when I was married cause she liked it......pretty good vehicle overall, but nothing compared to my Tahoe.