Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe vs Suburban Towing 'feel'.

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2021, 3:00 PM
D M
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tahoe vs Suburban Towing 'feel'.

Hello, I'm new, but looked around but couldn't find an answer.
Currently I have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe LT, with the towing package. Previously I had a 2014 Chevy Silverado with the towing package. I also have a 25 ft Travel Trailer that I used to tow with the Silverado, and now with the Tahoe. The Tahoe works 'fine' for towing, but I definitely think that the Silverado 'felt' better when towing. You're going to ask what do you mean by that, and I'm not totally sure I can answer that. I certainly didn't feel as much effects from wind or semi trucks going by and it just felt easier, but it's hard for me to quantify more than that. But, I learned that I wasn't a Truck guy, I was an SUV guy and while the Silverado is a great truck, I just love my Tahoe more.

My wife would like to go on some long distance camping trips, like to the Grand Canyon which is 1,000 miles away. I think the Tahoe could make it, but I don't know how well it would do vs the Silverado where towing felt easier. Being an SUV lover, does anyone have an opinion on whether a Suburban would 'feel' better with towing with its increased size. I know the max towing weight, and axle ratios, and all of that are a factor in towing, but those numbers are very close with a Tahoe and a Suburban. For comparisons sake assume either a 2016 Tahoe + 2016 Suburban or a 2021 Tahoe + 2021 Suburban.

Thanks!!

Old February 5th, 2021, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

longer wheelbase of a sub would help reduce sway.
The following users liked this post:
D M (February 7th, 2021)
Old February 6th, 2021, 9:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Longer wheelbase directly translates to a smoother, safer, and more stable tow. I had a similar opportunity to compare back-to-back, my Suburban and my Sierra Denali. The Denali has a 14-inch longer wheelbase, but the Suburban is 1000 lbs heavier. Which would do better towing a 6x12 enclosed single-axle trailer weighing ~4000 lbs?

No comparison - the Denali was a much smoother and stable tow. Wheelbase trumps everything else.

If upgrading your vehicle is not an option, a Hensley Arrow or ProPride will make a huge difference. They both eliminate sway.
D M (February 7th, 2021)
Old February 7th, 2021, 5:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires also make a big difference. I had an F150 that came with essentially passenger tires. Load range B I believe. I changed to load range E and the ride while towing was much better. I really did not notice a stiffer or harsher ride while not towing. The load range E tires take out a lot of rear end bounce. You do not have to run them at full pressure (80 psi). Somewhere around 65 is usually sufficient to carry the load.
D M (February 7th, 2021)
Old February 7th, 2021, 11:58 AM
D M
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@tech2 @monstershow @intheburbs Thanks a lot for the feedback.

My original Silverado had a wheelbase of 143.5
My current Tahoe has a wheelbase of 116 (huge difference)
The 2021 Suburban has a wheelbase of 134.1
(for reference, 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe 120.9 )

So, a brand new suburban would be much closer in wheelbase than my Tahoe. By quite a bit. Do you think that's 'enough' to make the towing feel similar to my old Silverado? Is that a 'little difference' or 'man, that's a game changer!!' ?

Thanks again.