Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe Wheels Plus what do i need to know

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe Wheels Plus what do i need to know

Hi<o></o>

I want to upgrade my 09 chevy Tahoe LT wheels. I haveeverything stock right now. I want to upgrade to 22” wheels so here are my questions.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1- <!--[endif]-->Do I need to changeanything on my car for those 22’ to fit?<o></o>

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2- <!--[endif]-->Do I need to change thegears shifting points?<o></o>

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3- <!--[endif]-->Do I need to readjust the speedometer?<o></o>

<!--[if !supportLists]-->4- <!--[endif]-->What is the Max size forthe tiers I should put on the 22” with no modification?<o></o>

<!--[if !supportLists]-->5- <!--[endif]-->Do you advice to go with 22”or 20” <o></o>

<!--[if !supportLists]-->6- <!--[endif]-->Does this upgrade effectthe gear?<o></o>

<o></o>

Thanks for your help all <o></o>
Old July 14th, 2013, 2:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good questions Mr. X !

1- <!--[endif]-->Do I need to change anything on my car for those 22’ to fit?
Nothing IF you keep to two things.
Make sure that the Rim Manufacturer, guarantees that the Rims are made to be used on your specific Vehicle.
And, that the Tires you use on those Rims, are the same Overall Diameter as the OEM Tires.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2- <!--[endif]-->Do I need to change the gears shifting points?
No.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3- <!--[endif]-->Do I need to readjust the speedometer?
Not if you observe the conditions in Answer #1.
IF you were to select a Tire with a different OD, then yes, but this probably can be done in/with the Computer.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->4- <!--[endif]-->What is the Max size for the tiers I should put on the 22” with no modification?
I will confine my answer as it applies to the Width of your proposed Tire.
Again, go by the Rim Manufacturers recommendations. They will know just how much you can handle.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->5- <!--[endif]-->Do you advice to go with 22”or 20”.
This would be entirely your choice. (remember Answer 1 though)

<!--[if !supportLists]-->6- <!--[endif]-->Does this upgrade effect the gear?
No.

There is an "order" of consideration...
Select the Rim Diameter first. (22")
Then, select the Tire you would like to use on that Rim.
Then, declare the Width of the Rim you like, which will be set by the Tire you want to use.

Let me rephrase that...
Choose a Rim diameter.
Pick a Tire you want that is that diameter,
Find the Width of that Tire, and add that to the Rim specifications.
Then find a Rim that you like (appearance), with the correct Diameter and Width.

Note: And finally...
You can adjust the Profile number of the Tire, to accommodate your required Overall Diameter needed.
(that's the 40R/50R/60R number)

One more thing I'll mention...
The above instructions, are for selecting a Rim/Tire which is 22" in Diameter (or larger).
The Standard & Optional OEM Equipment Rim Diameters for your Vehicle were 17" 18" and 20"
IF you choose to go with the 20" (or other) OEM diameter, then use this List.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Select...autoModClar=LT

Last edited by SWHouston; July 14th, 2013 at 3:10 PM.
Old July 14th, 2013, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Hey
thanks for the answers

i also found this
Tire size calculator

it may help others it's called Tire Calculator

depending on what you have said i think if i install 22" the the tire size will be 275/45/22

isn't that going to be thin? and hard when driving
Old July 14th, 2013, 3:30 PM
Super Moderator

Ummm..."thin" ?

Are you referring to the distance from the Rim to the Ground ? (the Profile)

If so, then yes, that's "close", and a consideration you must note, when it comes to Road Hazards like Chug Holes and Curbs.

It will be imperative that you keep your Air Pressure well UP in the upper ranges. I always mention (at some point) that there is a Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure listed on the Sidewall of every tire.

I recommend that you air your tires up to within a couple PSI of that number to reduce the possibility of damage. The higher pressure, will resist the collapse (crosscut) of the Sidewall, should you encounter a Hazard.

That will give you a bit more "firm" ride, but will help with your Gas Mileage and the Controllability of your Vehicle as well.

PS:
For those who want a very "soft" ride, then Mr. X's approach is not the way to go
That would require the choice of a smaller Rim Diameter (like a 16"), and a larger Profile (like 70R or 75R).
I am speaking somewhat generally about this, there are variations as expected.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 14th, 2013 at 3:41 PM.
Old July 14th, 2013, 3:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I did come checking you your findings...

The use of the 275/45/22 would require you to use a 10" x 22" Rim.
The height (overall diameter) of that tire is within appropriate limits.
(your OEM is 31.6" and the 275's are 31.8" = close enough)

Now...
Have you found a 10x22 Rim that you like (in appearance), and...
does the Manufacturer of that Rim, guarantee that it will work on your ride without rubbing ?

Last edited by SWHouston; July 14th, 2013 at 4:02 PM.
Old July 14th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Mr.X: Welcome to the forum.

As SWHouston said, as long as you maintain the OD of the OEM setup, you won't have to change anything. The new wheel offset will determine if you will have any rubbing problems. If there is just minor rubbing on the wheel house plastic, you can reform it w/ a heat gun.
Old July 15th, 2013, 1:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, Shark was very correct in pointing out that there are things you can do , IF the rubbing is not severe.

The Heat Gun as he mentioned, and minor adjustments to the Stops can be done as well. But, you should still press the Rim Distributor and insist on a no questions return policy, should their recommendation not satisfy you.
Old July 15th, 2013, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks all for the advice
I am going to buy the genuine Cadillac 22 rims so it comes on the esclade so it should fit my car right
Old July 15th, 2013, 9:40 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

If you get the same size tires as come on the Esky with those wheels, you should be OK.
Old July 17th, 2013, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Hi
i thank you all for the great information and if you are interested on how it looks well here are some pictures also i have installed Quad Bi-Xenon projectors on it. One more question do i have to change the spare tire or since it the same size is ok?

Last edited by Mr.X; July 17th, 2013 at 8:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Tahoe Wheels Plus what do i need to know