Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is there hope for my Tahoe??

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2018, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there hope for my Tahoe??

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4wd, and I love it! She has almost 85,000 miles. Seems like the last 2-3 years she is falling apart, and I wonder if repairing would be worth it at this point. First, the back right passenger window quit operating, then the rear wiper quit putting out fluid, and now the rear wiper won't even wipe. In the meantime, all the dash gauges decided to start hanging at the bottom o their dials. I have been using the miles remaining feature to know how much gas I have. Occasionally the ac will start blowing hot air full blast, and usually will stop after I turn it off and then back n at the next stop. I have also lost my hatchback handle, and that will not be cheap to have replaced. The most recent, and least fun problem, it that for over 6 months my gas tank has been clogged and takes about 20 minutes to fill it. I have to go so slow that I can count with it, or it shuts off or spits out. Keep in mind I am a 52 y/o woman, and will need mechanics to fix all the above. I need advice on if this might be worth fixing, because I really do not want to buy a new vehicle. Thanks in advance!! TK
Old December 11th, 2018, 4:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

All of the above can add up to some significant repair bills; need to compare to what you would have with a monthly loan payment. Our 05 Sub is at 250k miles so your 05 is a youngster in comparison. Good news is you are not describing any major motor/tranny problems. Our gauges have been worked on 2-3 times; back wiper needed rewiring this year. I try to keep after stuff as they show up vs save it up for a big one time repair bill. Good luck & welcome to the forum. My only big ticket item was a transfer case this year. Otherwise has been a faithful servant & I would buy it again!
Old December 11th, 2018, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you...

Thank you so much 😊 My two previous vehicles were Suburbans, then I downsized as kids moved out. Im definitely a Chevy girl and thinking a Malibu will be my next purchase. I’m not in a position to buy anything right now, but really need to get the clogged gas tank fixed ASAP. Everything I read is on how to fix it myself, not doing that. Does anyone have any pointers on how much it is, and where to go to have this done? And thank you so much for the welcome!! I had no idea this group existed ❤️
Old December 11th, 2018, 6:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkass
Occasionally the ac will start blowing hot air full blast, and usually will stop after I turn it off and then back on at the next stop.
I had this on our 2005 Yukon. I replaced the little actuator on passenger side of the console with an aftermarket Dorman one (maybe $60). Pain to get the cover off to access the actuator though, I ground a 5.5mm socket shorter at both ends to get in there.

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4wd, and I love it! She has almost 85,000 miles. Seems like the last 2-3 years she is falling apart, and I wonder if repairing would be worth it at this point. First, the back right passenger window quit operating, then the rear wiper quit putting out fluid, and now the rear wiper won't even wipe. In the meantime, all the dash gauges decided to start hanging at the bottom o their dials. I have been using the miles remaining feature to know how much gas I have. Occasionally the ac will start blowing hot air full blast, and usually will stop after I turn it off and then back n at the next stop. I have also lost my hatchback handle, and that will not be cheap to have replaced. The most recent, and least fun problem, it that for over 6 months my gas tank has been clogged and takes about 20 minutes to fill it. I have to go so slow that I can count with it, or it shuts off or spits out. Keep in mind I am a 52 y/o woman, and will need mechanics to fix all the above. I need advice on if this might be worth fixing, because I really do not want to buy a new vehicle. Thanks in advance!! TK
Old December 11th, 2018, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wow

That sounds like a pain, and way too complicated for a newbie. Luckily it doesn’t happen often, it’s definitely on the long list. Thank you for your knowledge! I will keep this info in case I need to fix it!
Old December 12th, 2018, 9:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

That sounds like a pain, and way too complicated for a newbie.
Getting the panel off is the toughest part, by far (it is GM, you know). If you then disconnect the harness to the bad actuator, you should be able to turn it to its desired position by hand (or unplug harness when it's in that position). I had ours on "AC" position for a year, Mrs. Cusser said she used heated seats instead of heater.