Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Time For An Over-Haul on a 96 Burb

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2010 | 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Time For An Over-Haul on a 96 Burb

I'd like improve the heads on my 5.7 vortec. I askt the guys at TRICK FLOW and they told me they don't have anything compatible for the Vortec, is this going to be the same across the board for this engine? Is there a way around it?
Old March 10th, 2010 | 9:23 PM
CF Veteran

vortec heads benefit from port/polish/gasket match. they already flow really well stock.
Old March 10th, 2010 | 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

The motors got 238,000 on it. Same answer?
Old March 10th, 2010 | 9:51 PM
CF Veteran

i would have them checked for cracks, make sure valves and seats are good, stem seals good. basically a good overhaul, rebuild. but yes, same answer. the vortecs are a great head. i just had both from my '98 tahoe redone for $150. no performance mods to them, just basic rebuild. i'd take the vortecs over aftermarket myself.
Old March 13th, 2010 | 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Thanx for the info. I really love this truck and would like to see it running strong for years to come.
Old March 13th, 2010 | 9:03 PM
CF Veteran

get heads checked, rebuilt if needed. also, budget allowing, while you've got things apart, maybe replace the lifters if needed, pushrods. another big thing to do is to convert the fuel injection from the current to the upgraded mfi system. here's a link to the injection unit, which is extremely easy to replace, especially if motor is apart already. here's why. vortecs are central port injected, meaning the fuel comes into a center port where all injectors are located. fuel is squirted down the lines from each injector to the cylinders. before going into the cylinder, it hits a poppet valve. when the fuel pressure hits a certain point, the poppet valve opens, allowing fuel to enter combustion chamber. these poppet valves are notorious for failure. gumming up so they don't close all the way, leaking fuel into cylinders, or not opening. the solution. replace entire "spider" unit with new kit that moves the injectors from the center port, down to each cylinder, basically making motor multi port injected. the old lines pop out easy, new unit pops in easy. no modification. new injection unit requires new bracket, buy it, use it. easy money. better power, throttle response and mileage. did this to my 98 tahoe, big difference. here's link to oreilly's auto parts listing, but you can get these alot of places. bwd part # 63886. ` in my research, most units are made by the delphi company, so they're all the same. good luck.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ban&vi=1302826
Old March 13th, 2010 | 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thats bitch'n dude and I'm an O'rielly fan so it perfect. 300 and change is good deal for that kind of an upgrade.
Old March 13th, 2010 | 9:34 PM
CF Veteran

make sure to buy the bracket. mine happened to come with it, even tho it says it doesn't. buy anyway, you can return if needed. follow instructions, yer good to go.