Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire monitor and new sensors

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2007, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire monitor and new sensors

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban LT with the TPM system (which I am really starting to dislike). Living where we do, and the fact we like to go skiing, we run studded tires part of the year, and standard road tires the rest of year. So I recently bought rims off an 04 Tahoe to put the standard tires on to make the switch a lot easier. I bought new tire sensors at the dealer, and then had it all put on (wife's car...figured I would do it 'right' since she is not very good about checking tire infation). What do ya know, got a 'Service Tire Monitor' message on the DIC. Called the dealer who said I needed to bring it in (make an appointment, will take at least an hour, maybe longer). I was told I could not do this servicing myself. He said the computer needed to know the location of each sensor.

So this meansI have to do this each time I rotate the tires? Tire places cannot do this?

This seems a bit brain dead to me. (Either that or a blatent attempt to steer more business back to the dealers). No offense meant to anyone...I am venting[>:]

So, anyone have info on if I can do this servicing myself? If this has been covered a lot, I apologize in advance. I tried a search with a few different key words and could not find what I was looking for.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 1:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tire monitor and new sensors

not sure about 04's but on my 07 I can "relearn tire locations" through my DIC (Driver Information Center/Console). Do a search in the Tahoe section for setailed instructions. Good Luck