Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire question for 2007 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2015, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire question for 2007 tahoe

Ok, so the tires on the truck are in need of replacing. I use the truck as a daily driver, as well as to tow my travel trailer. The tires that are on it now are the ones that it came with when I got it used from the dealer, Eagle LS-2's. I'm fairly certain they were take-offs or maybe 2 of them were, because the car-fax noted something about tires (I forget what exactly), and 2 on the front (or back I guess) had more tread depth than the other 2.

Despite on this, I've put 20k miles on them, so I really can't complain too loudly about them. They are what is called for via OEM.

So looking around, I finally settled on conti crosscontact lx20's in the xl load range. Of course, when I went to get these, I found that they nor the sl's can be found anywhere (well anywhere in reach of discount tire)...I think maybe they stopped making them, i dunno.

So that put me back to searching. The guy at discount is recommending a yokohama yk-htx tire to me. The only thing I can find about that is one semi-good review, that they came out summer of last year, and that they are "exclusive" to discount tire.

The only yoko's I had were on a car and they didn't last, and I was not happy with them.

There is also the Michelin LTX MS/2's I could get. Seems mixed on the reviews of that one, mostly outstanding reviews but the occasional horrible one as well.

Some Cooper Discovery, Bridgestone dueler alenza ones...same mixed type of review, etc.

And the eagle ls-2, which I could get knowing they have done the job in the past.

So does anyone have any real experience with any of these? More importantly the yoko's or the michelins? Everything I have read says they are quieter, better handling etc. But they are also going to cost $160-$200 more for the yoko or michelins etc.

I guess with the yoko being so new there might not be many data points to look at. The price is like $15 cheaper than the michelins...and I was almost ready to get the michelins till I read some neg reviews...ugg!
Old April 22nd, 2015, 9:42 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I got 80,000 miles out of my original BS Alenza's so I went back with them, I've got 26,000 on them now and they are doing well and still have the little poinkies from the casting on them☺
I rotate them every oil change (6-8k) I also got them from Discount Tire...
Old April 23rd, 2015, 8:51 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tires

check out tirerack for options and reviews.

I liked the OEM ones on mine, but went to the highly rated michelin's (or however you spell it). and although they are nice, they seem to wear faster.

I'll go back to the OEM ones next time.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 9:36 AM
CF Active Member

I've been to tirerack probably 100 times over the last week, if not more. Read just about every review. Just like any kind of review system, there are always bads as well as goods.

Anyways, sabr, what were the oem's on yours? Seems they vary, for whatever reason.

I was just about ready to plunk down the money for the michelins, until I started hearing about premature sidewall cracking and such.

I know everyone has a favorite, mine in particular are anything with long life and a cheap price that does the job. But my only experience are with the eagles, and I feel there is probably something slightly better out there.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Lol don't over think them, just remember an aggressive tread like AT's or mud will be noisy and won't last as long, road tires are fine for towing if you will be on paved roads and will be much quieter, no matter the tire you go with do 2 things, keep them properly inflated and rotated...
Old April 23rd, 2015, 6:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the michelin ltx ms 2. They will e the last tire you will buy. They last forever and are very good in the snow. I bought 4 sets for 4 different trucks. I sold the oe tires and upgraded to these.
Old April 24th, 2015, 7:11 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks all for the replys. Just one more quick question, more of just asking opinion really.

Does anyone think it would be a bad idea if I waited a couple days on the alignment?

My plan is this...replace outer tie rod ends and get new tires tomorrow. Get alignment monday or tuesday.

I'm fairly certain discount can't perform an alignment (not sure I really trust them to do it correctly if they did), and the place I want to take it to isn't open on the weekends. The reason I want to take it to this particular place is I talked to the guy last year...when I went in for an alignment, and he basically told me I didn't need it until I got new tires...would just be tossing money away. I appreciated his straightforwardness and his overall knowledge about the truck...so I figured I'd take it back to him.

In order to do that, I'd probably be putting about 100 miles or so on the new tires going back and forth to work or any other little store trip on the weekend.
Old April 24th, 2015, 8:30 AM
Administrator

I can appreciate your over abundance of caution...
If your vehicle is not currently grossly out of alignment you will be fine for a couple hundred miles, juts don't let that 100-200 turn into 3000-4000 or you may have more wear that will take longer to even out...
Old April 24th, 2015, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

Thank you for snapping me back into the groove, in2pro.

One can sometimes do too much thinking and research....hehe