Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2015, 2:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by intheburbs
It's a difference of roughly 200 lbs.
I believe that's a reasonable number. maybe even generous for the actual weight increase. However, the reduction in GTW (gross towing weight) might equate to 800/1200 lbs or so.
I admit, I didn't/haven't looked into the various packages which may have been installed, causing the variations.
Old December 21st, 2015, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the guide I've been using. I've referenced the 2008 guide (give or take a year), as those models are what's in my price range. I've also heard good things about Tahoe/Suburban reliability, so I feel safe getting a model with the average mileage for those years on it.

Now that I'm looking at the listings a little closer, it does appear that there's only 100-200 pounds of difference in towing between a 2WD and a 4x4. I'm glad I brought that up.

At this point, I'm torn between a Suburban and a Tahoe.

Last edited by Jeffreybomb; December 21st, 2015 at 4:34 PM.
Old December 21st, 2015, 6:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffreybomb
At this point, I'm torn between a Suburban and a Tahoe.
All I can offer is this:

The number of Tahoe owners who, after some period of time, say, "Wow. I wish I'd gotten the Suburban instead." = large number

The number of Suburban owners who, after some period of time, say, "Wow. I wish I'd gotten the Tahoe instead." = Zero

As far as I'm concerned, I'll have a Suburban in my garage until the day I die. And then, in my will, I'll request that I be buried in it.

I was just perusing my maintenance file on my Burb. I've had it 2.5 years, have put 40k miles on it, the odometer now shows 146k, and I've spent a total of $20 in repairs. Replaced a bad purge valve solenoid. I've beaten the snot out of this truck - over 10,000 miles of heavy towing, fourwheeling in Moab, hard driving - and the only money I've spent on it was for fluid changes, tires and body work (thanks to my daughter). I love this truck.

Last edited by intheburbs; December 21st, 2015 at 6:39 PM.
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this truck.
I second that

And the only thing I can offer is that both Hoe and Burbs have appointments equal to any Cadillac I've owned (several by the way). I'm a big fan of "set it and forget it", so auto setting seats, lights, other things are available on most all of them.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 8:04 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, I'll have a Suburban in my garage until the day I die. And then, in my will, I'll request that I be buried in it.
Be sure to disable the AFM first so you don't use up all the oil on the way.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Be sure to disable the AFM first so you don't use up all the oil on the way.
Look in my sig. No AFM trucks. Not ever.
Old December 24th, 2015, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No AFM trucks. Not ever.
AFM?
Old December 24th, 2015, 1:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jeffreybomb
AFM?
Active Fuel Management
aka cylinder deactivation

Started in 2007. Bad design. Causes engines to consume oil excessively, and leads to long-term lifter issues, too. People say it was fixed around 2010-2011 model year. I don't buy it, and I'll never buy an AFM truck. I'll buy a Ford Ecoboost F150 or 6.4 Hemi Ram before I buy a GM AFM truck.

Google 5.3 AFM

Enjoy perusing the 7,600,000 hits.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suburban are great. We are a family of 5 plus two dogs who make 1.5hr trips to see family regularly many of these trips in the summer towing a 4600lb boat. The truck handles it great. The wife has since taken over the suburban as a daily driver and I have gone to a 2015 Silverado, but when I get behind the suburban it is like seeing a good old friend. We will always own a burb. And yes a 2500 is probably overkill now that it is a family hauler 99% of the time.