Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Towing with the Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2012, 1:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH ok then...
I'd definitely go with the 4.11 for sure. She's going to have a lot more confidence in the ride if it "seems" powerful and gets her there "easier". Yea, that might cost you some mileage for around the town in the mean time, but overall, I think She'll be more satisfied.

Last edited by SWHouston; October 6th, 2012 at 1:04 PM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS, I just thought to mention a couple more things...

You need to check your GTW (gross towing weight) and make sure your rig doesn't exceed the OEM poundage. It doesn't matter how many addon's you stack on that thing, IF you/she is pulled over for a weigh, they'll go by the original capacity.

On the Tires...
Make sure that the Load Rating for a/each tire, is at or near 50% of your vehicle max/loaded weight. (that's 1/2 the weight of the vehicle + 500 lbs) (assuming you have a 1/2 ton Hoe)

And, don't be afraid to air them up, at or near the "Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure" as listed on the side wall of the Tire. That'll give you a LOT better performance and stability, and ALL tires are rated by their Manufacturer to be operated at those higher pressures for the tire's Life.

Last edited by SWHouston; October 6th, 2012 at 3:02 PM.
Old October 7th, 2012, 6:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 07 Tahoe with the 3.73 gears, to be honest if I was going to tow something heavy I would still jump up to the 4.11's. But that is my opinion and I have another vehicle that the family can get around in that gets about 27 mpg, your situation may vary.
Old October 7th, 2012, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by aris_unlimited
I've got an 07 Tahoe with the 3.73 gears, to be honest if I was going to tow something heavy I would still jump up to the 4.11's. But that is my opinion and I have another vehicle that the family can get around in that gets about 27 mpg, your situation may vary.
I have anouther small SUV we get around town in too. I think an 07 tahoe has the 4speed tranny, so 3.73 should have a more dramatic effect since I have a wider gear range in my tranny, I think. I do wish the around town family SUV got 27 mpg though, but around here Prius barely get that. I had a 4 cylinder Camry once that only got 17.
Old October 7th, 2012, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
OH ok then...
I'd definitely go with the 4.11 for sure. She's going to have a lot more confidence in the ride if it "seems" powerful and gets her there "easier". Yea, that might cost you some mileage for around the town in the mean time, but overall, I think She'll be more satisfied.
I'll be driving, my daughter is a bit small to drive yet. But She and I will be showing the horse.

Just for fun, I went and drove a Serria with a tow package and 3.42. It had a little more, but not much. They don't make the 5.3 with 3.73 any more I guess. To get the 3.73, you have to have the 6.2.